Netflix Canada magically working?

Funny, I called Netflix, and they told me flat out to return the WD Live Hub and proceeded to list off a number of other devices that WOULD work for Canada. He said it is WD that is holding out, and has decided not to offer Netflix.ca

matthewe wrote:
Funny, I called Netflix, and they told me flat out to return the WD Live Hub and proceeded to list off a number of other devices that WOULD work for Canada. He said it is WD that is holding out, and has decided not to offer Netflix.ca

WD support would be unable to make such a declaration, because there’s no official statement to that effect.  Seems odd that Netflix support would be stating it as fact before WD announced it.

I’d be inclined to hold out for an official WD response, unless you’re under a time-constraint WRT your return policy.  In that situation, your options are limited and the safest option is to return it.

I just called Netflix, and the girl on the phone told me that WDTV IS on the list of devices supported by Netflix Canada. 

She told me to try bypassing my router and connecting directly to the internet. When I suggested it was a problem with the Netflix activation web service, she refused to even consider the possibility.  Nothing has changed on my end since it gave me an activation code last week.  My network is still the same, my firmware is still the same, and I have 2 different WD TV devices that can’t get activation codes. 

I just called WD tech support, and they told me its not supported in Canada yet.  The tech support guy said it might be a few weeks or a few months, but I’m pretty sure he was just talking out of his **bleep**, and he didn’t know anything either.

nutbar wrote:

…I’m pretty sure he was just talking out of his **bleep**, and he didn’t know anything either.

Wouldn’t be the first time…  ;)

nutbar wrote:
I just tried again, and it’s still not fixed. Or do you mean the fact that it ever worked was a bug?

Still going strong here on my Hub.  Sorry to hear others are having some trouble with it.

+1 still working on my end, activated on april 2nd and has been going ever since. Variety and quality on a lot of content is pretty poor though. I’m not even considering pursuing past the free month activation.

The bug may have only affected ACTIVATION.

Correcting the bug for people already activated probably isn’t going to de-activate them.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

The bug may have only affected ACTIVATION.

Correcting the bug for people already activated probably isn’t going to de-activate them.

The fact you can still access Netflix Canada using a unit activated during the bug puts the lie to Netflix Support’s allleged claim that WD is blocking Canadian access.

WD’s firmware has no issue connecting to Netflix in Canada; Netflix is the one blocking Canadian users via the activation system.

guys, i just updated to the newest frimware released today, here is what happens now:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Are-you-kidding-me-Netflix-ca-with-latest-firmware/td-p/170566

Where do you live? I’m in Montreal. Just upgraded to the new firmware version which is supposed to be compatible with Netflix Canada and it still doesn’t work. No access code and WD TV is not even listed in their compatible product list.

There are no access codes needed for the new version.

You might want to see if the Knowledge Base Article below will help you.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6612/

If you’re having issues getting Netflix to work in Canada, can you please PM me your Netflix ESN and tell me exactly what your problem is? You should be able to find the ESN in the About screen in Setup. Please also note roughly what date and time of day you were trying to use Netflix.

Thanks.

I have sent a pm. I just tried it and am still getting the Visit netflix.ca/NRD … message. It is frustrating since it was working with the previous firmware. The main reason for me taking the plunge was for the search feature (which now work great)

:angry:

Netflix in Canada now working for me on the new Firmware!!!

Watching Ironman 2 on my WD Live Hub now! 

Confirmed. Working now in Canada as of last night. Also, unlike my Samsung BD-C6500T it allows me to select the 5.1 DDplus audio track when it is available.

Glad to hear it!

Tried tonight after I sent my Netflix ESN to Guy last night. Happy to report Netflix is up and running!! Not sure if it’s something he did or it just works now. Worth giving it a shot folks! A bit buggy trying to exit netflix, with an undefined error which should be labelled exit yes/no