NetBIOS names

I have a 2TB MyBook Live on my home network. In the Windows logs of another PC on the same network, I am seeing a lot of repeated messages of the type <<The name “WORKGROUP      :1d” could not be registered on the interface with IP address 192.168.1.xxx. The computer with the IP address 192.168.1.4 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.>>

192.168.1.4 is the IP address of the MBL. The workgroup is, obviously, WORKGROUP (original, huh?).

It looks as though the MBL is becoming the NetBIOS master browser, and grabbing the name “WORKGROUP      :1d” accordingly, and then is not relinquishing the name later if/when it loses an election. Is this a known problem? Or have I misinterpreted what I’m seeing, and the problem lies elsewhere?

regards,

mooncow

No, you’re not misinterpreting.  That is one possible reason for the error.  

But the opposite can also be true.  It could be that the MBL has won the election but your PC is refusing to relinquish the role.

With your MBL shut down, wait for a little bit (10 minutes or so) and then step through this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

Then power up your MBL, wait another 10 minutes, and repeat.

See if anything changes in the MB role.