Net view command error 58

Hey guys, 

I’m trying to figure out why my western digital TV won’t see the shares on my Windows Server 2008 R2. I read another thread that said to issue the net view command and when I type it I get:

C:\Users\xxxxx>net view

System error 58 has occurred.

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

I searched on the forum, but it didn’t have any results for “error 58”, so I haven’t found anyone else talking about it. 

I’m really not sure why this is so complicated. I use the network share that I’m trying to access every single day from 3 other windows 7 and xp machines. I even connected to it with my MacBook. I’m not sure why western digital won’t just let us put in a path.

Any tips on getting this thing to work?

WOW.   Your own computer is telling you there’s a problem with it and yet you blame the WDTV?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22System+Error+58%22

I’m sorry if I offended you, but you certainly don’t have to be so rude. If you have nothing useful to contribute, please don’t bother replying to this thread again.

Yes I do blame the WDTV, because if I can view the shares from any other computer and three different operating systems, I certainly should be able to see it from there as well. I googled the error 58 and followed a few of the steps, such as:

1. GPedit.msc
  2. Windows Settings. Expand “Local Policies” and select “Security Options”
  3. Alternate : Type secpol.msc to get editor up then
  4. Locate “Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level” in the list and double-click it.
  5. Change the setting from “Send NTMLv2 response only” to “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session if negotiated”

However, this made no difference in making the network share display in the list. So once again, I’m back here looking for useful advice. 

Ok, let’s try it this way.

Unplug your WDTV from your network, and wait at least a half-hour  (Yes, Microsoft can take that long to do a Master Browser election.)

Now try the Net View.   What happens?

I’m not sure what the problem was with the master browser, but I just found it by typing net view xxxxxxx, where X is a computer name for every computer on the network. I figured the master browser must have been screwed up so I edited the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]

Created a few isMasterBrowser and set to FALSE. 

After I did this, server 2008 took over the master browser immediately and then I plugged in the western digital TV and everything was good.

The joy of windows networking.

Thanks

Especially considering you turned Master Browser OFF, and now the server IS the browser?    

Yep, that’s microsoft for you…

Sorry, what are you asking?

I forced the current master browser (the one that would give the error) to no longer assume the role by using that registry tweak. Once I did this, the Server 2008 machine took over as master browser and the net view command worked flawlessly. As far as what is messed up on the computer that was the master browser, I’m not going to waste my time figuring it out. I’m just glad it works now. Let me know if that’s what you were asking.

I thought you were saying that you did that registry change ON your server, so I was surprised to see that the server BECAME the master.

But it sounds like you did that on a machine other than the server, so that makes more sense.  :)