NEF Photo support

Please allow WD MyCloud web interface to identify Nikon NEF raw photo files as photographs and not ‘OTHER FILES’

I have no interest in streaming them as I use FTP for access remotely, but it would at least be handy for them to catagorised as photographs/pictures rather than unknown files.

Maybe add all the other 7 or 8 Raw filetypes that other camera manufacturers uses.

A lot of photographers are using these devices for backup so why not make the machine more useful to them?

Please also give us a way of disabling thumbnail creation as it massively slows down the Cloud response when doing so and often takes days to complete on large numbers of files.

8 Likes

Idea revised for voting.

NEF files are still not beeing displayed as a photo files. This is a great problem, because special solutions like the EX will not only be used by housholds, but by professionals like myself. I am using Lightroom anyhow, but it is just very annoying to have a “Cloud”, which does not know what files I am storing. Clouds like Box, Dropbox, iCloud and Google display NEF’s as photographs. This should be corrected urgently, it is not a feature, it is a fault.

ShawJohn wrote:

Please allow WD MyCloud web interface to identify Nikon NEF raw photo files as photographs and not ‘OTHER FILES’

I have no interest in streaming them as I use FTP for access remotely, but it would at least be handy for them to catagorised as photographs/pictures rather than unknown files.

Maybe add all the other 7 or 8 Raw filetypes that other camera manufacturers uses.

A lot of photographers are using these devices for backup so why not make the machine more useful to them?

Please also give us a way of disabling thumbnail creation as it massively slows down the Cloud response when doing so and often takes days to complete on large numbers of files.

2 Likes

BUMP

Has anyone at WD seen this and care to comment?

Or do any of the more seasoned linux guys know of a way of implementing this?

This is a major drawback currently for the system as most photographers will use the raw format and may not use raw and JPEG. Is there anyone from WD that can comment if this will be addressed in an upcoming update??

From my perspective as it stands, the software is useless for storing and sharing any of my photos as I cannot see any thumbnails.

JANUARY 2017 is here and we’re still not able to view NEF files. This is a MAJOR drawback especially when trying to access files remotely.

What are the chances we’ll see this update this year?

I would also like to insist for getting .NEF preview. The WD support advice me to share with the community my wishes.
Here is what I ask them about .NEF preview :

.NEF file format is the official raw Nikon format. Nikon photo cameras can store pictures as .JPG or .NEF (best quality, no destructive compression) or .JPG+.NEF
Professionnal photographers often use the raw format to be able to get more details in photo to process them with professional software.
I transfer my pictures from my nikon to the WD passport Pro from my SD cards. And I want to be able to free my SD cards and to choose the pictures I want to keep on my WD by selecting them in the WD My Cloud from my Ipad.
Apple IOS photo App ‘camera roll’ is able to show these kind of pictures but we can’t see previews in My Cloud, that’s too bad.
In My Cloud I can select one by one .NEF files without preview and copy them to the Apple Camera Roll to get a preview but when you have thousands of pictures this is not very practical. Furthermore you have to download files locally in WD my Cloud and then copy them to camera roll, this is not practical and very memory consumming.
Another way is to send send a selected list of locally transferred pictures to my DSphoto App of my Ipad which upload all my photos to my synology NAS server on which I can choose my pictures. This is not more practical and you must have a good internet connection.
So If you could have preview of .NEF file in WD My Cloud the WD passport Pro would be usesable for professionnal nikon phtotographers.
Thanks.

1 Like

@WD App Engineering !
WHAT ARE YOUR ACTIONs on this topic please ?

Why should professional photographers own a WD NAS without using the view on mobile devices ?

I sure wish - like everyone else - that My Cloud showed the previews of the NEF files - this is such a problem and if I had known this was an issue I would not have purchased this

As WD isn’t able to support NEF files on their APP I changed to 3rd party App which runs proper. As well NEF files are large and depending on your network bandwith it took a couple of seconds to load an image.
And, no…I am not the developer or behind the app team, I am just a user.
I use the FE File Explorer Pro out of the Apples App Store, just cool to connect all kind of clouds, data sources etc to move data vice versa.
cheers, Thomas