***NEEDED*** A MyBook Live Desktop Widget

As a Systems Administrator who has implemented about 3 of these devices and installed them in a fan ventilated wall mounted fire safe, I would have great use for a status widget for each device on my desktop. I don’t check on these drives daily, as they are located in a safe. Sometimes the fan fails, and with three drives running it can get quite warm in there. 

The built in status monitors on these new drives are a wonderful addition to the UI, but some expansion would go a long way with techies, professionals, and geeks/nerds alike. And if you have them implemented in a corporate environment like I do, (even if they aren’t in a safe), it would be nice to have something that alerts you right on your screen of any failures, over heating or otherwise. As opposed to having to navigate to each device IP to get a glance at the status indicator. 

I imagine it would use just a simple SSH script, but without WD’s Linux/Unix source code for these devices UI, I’d be hard pressed to try building anything myself. 

Is anyone else of the belief that a Widget or some other tool of that nature would be a welcomed addition? 

Have you installed WD Quickview?  Sounds like that would accomplish what you want. It is a app that resides in the system tray and provides status and alerts.

WDTony wrote:

Have you installed WD Quickview?  Sounds like that would accomplish what you want. It is a app that resides in the system tray and provides status and alerts.

AND how do I install WD Quickview by itself??  I even downloaded what was the “latest” version of the WD install stuff & it didn’t get past “Discovery” because it cannot find the MBL; even the install file on the 3T MBL could not find the MBL!!!

I think that a separate software should be available for users of the MBL; preferrably immediately.

Oh, I do have to mention I never used the WD install but just enabled the SSH telnet & accessed the UI by entering the name; could be the huge BUG that made my MBL “undiscoverable” by any WD software.

I came here to ask the same question, which I did but my question  was about installing WD Quick View. I’ve installed the MyBookLive software but I do not see the WD Quick View. 

Where can I download or get this “widget” that I want in my Menu bar. 

My computer is a Apple iMac. 

You should be able to install this from the CD that came with the product.

I haven’t installed it on my mac but I believe it’s in the software/extras folder on the MBL.

I found this post containing information that helped me get the WD Quick View icon on my Menu Bar on Lion. 

On Mac OS X 10.7.1 (Lion) - The install places the quick view app/icon in the following folder:  MacintoshHD/Library/Application Support/WDSmartWare.  I created an alias to it in my Applications folder and it appears to work - and there is an icon in the menu bar.  The install may behave differently on Leopard.  You might try re-installing.  However, if you are hoping to get diagnostic information about your MBL’s - the quick view application isn’t going to tell you much - other than give you a quick view of the drive health and some detailed properties about each drive.  If you are encountering strange behavior on your MBL’s - you may have to resort to looking at the logs.