Need virgin image file for 1TB mycloud

Hi,

I had a 3TB mycloud device. A few weeks back disk gave up, so would like to replace it with a 1TB disk.

1. What is the process to replace
  2. How to download the 1TB virgin disk image file.

One does not need a “virgin image file” to “unbrick” a hard drive for use in a single bay/single drive My Cloud enclosure. User Fox_Exe has a set of directions for each single bay My Cloud version (first gen, second gen) that users have used successfuly to unbrick a hard drive and have it work in the My Cloud enclosure.

Instructions and files for the first gen (P/N -00, v4.x firmware):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVZTBtM3EyRVhDVms

Instructions and files for second gen (P/N -10, v2.x firmware):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXllYjY5RG1CZEU

Hi Bennor,

Unfortunately I do not have that disk with me. I just have the case with a brand new 1TB HDD.
So need help in doing that.

How do i figure out which version of firmware mine is?

Look at the bottom of the My Cloud (single bay/single drive) enclosure for a P/N number. If the P/N number ends in “-00” then it’s first gen v4.x. If it ends with “-10” then it’s second gen v2.x.

One may need to use a Linux boot disc/USB flash drive to boot their computer when performing some of the steps in the Fox_Exe directions. Ubuntu is one such popular Linux distro that has boot disc/USB flash drive.

Hi, I am in the same situation,my cloud 2nd generation, need to install 1tb hard drive but no original drive to image from. The links no longer work. Can anyone point me to where they are now, or where I can find suitable process to install a virgin disk, please?

Hi,
I am in the same situation. I have just bought a my cloud 2nd generation which used to have a 4t drive, but I bought it as a bare chassis.
I want to install a 1tb drive which is bare currently, to check my cloud works, with a view to installing a larger drive in future. The links are broken now, can anyone tell me where the files are located now, or where I can find a virgin 1tb image, please?

Updated links. As always, note your single bay My Cloud generation as the unbrick directions are slightly different between the two versions. Also if you are seeing a red front LED after performing the unbrick procedure, try accessing the My Cloud Dashboard. If the Dashboard is accessible, perform a System Only reset via the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Utilities > System Factory Restore.

The main Fox_exe repositories for multiple My Cloud models can be found here:
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/

First gen directions:
English: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Replace%20HDD%20-%20English.txt
Russian: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Replace%20HDD.txt
The img files needed for the first gen Fox directions can be found in the WDMyCloud-Gen1/Backups folder in the main Fox_exe respoitory link above.

Second gen directions:
English: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt
Russian: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_ru.txt
Various files used in the second gen Fox_exe unbrick directions can be found in the WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2 repository.

Thank you for your help, I will try again later on.

Hi,
I followed this procedure with some difficulty as my Ubuntu knowledge is minimal, but I think I have the drive setup now. On booting in the mycloud, I eventually get a flashing red led. I can see the device from the router and read it’s IP address, the webpage suggests that the drive is in safe mode due to corruption of firmware. I am trying to load the first release version, 2.10.302 but this hangs at 0%. I have had to do a hard reset, pulling power, drive still visible and on same IP address 192.168.1.239. Have you any suggestions please? I see others have this problem too. The drive is a ver2 4TB model, I’m trying to get it working with a 1Tb drive but have a 4TB on order. Also, the drive reported just 1.1GB space when Ubuntu procedure was completed, in gparted.
Thanks for your help.

Don’t have a v2 but on my v1 (which uses a different unbrick process) after performing all the unbrick steps, if the drive shows a red led upon boot the solution was to access the My Cloud Dashboard and perform a System Only restore via the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Utilities page.

Thank you once again for helping me as a beginner and I’m sorry if I ask dumb questions.
I have been thinking about it and wondered if I should have used cp with -R to copy the uRamdisk-wdrecovery to drive. I noticed that the extracted file from fox-exe had a sub directory containing a file nam ed aa.
Meantime, I will follow up on your suggestion: I have not installed any WD software yet.

Hi Bennor.
I have started trying to unbrick my v2 mycloud, with fox-exe method, first, rather than alternative method.
I have managed to prepare the hard disk (now a 2TB WD NAS drive) and usb stick to the point thatt the mycloud flashes yellow-red. next step is to telnet the recovery info across, i already partiotioned the hard drive.
my question is, how can I find the ip address of the mycloud now? its not found wired to the router, nor connected direct to my laptop. arp -a command gives some odd looking addresses, non of which respond to ping or respond when i attempt to connect via browser. I have wireshark installed but that hasn’t helped.
do you have any suggestions, please?

I guess one option is to connect the My Cloud directly to the computer’s Ethernet port. The My Cloud and the network port should auto default to an IP address in the 169.254.x.x. range. From there maybe the cmd arp -a may show the My Cloud IP address.

I don’t have a V2 single bay My Cloud.

Hi,
Thanks, l had tried that but no luck. I have managed to connect previously so the hardware works, I wondered if the mytinyos set a different, fixed address.
I had the same problems with a buffalo Nas, just can’t recall how I got it working! No problem, I will keep trying.

Hi Bennie, I have used fox_exe procedure to build a new hard disk (1TB) to repair a ver2 my cloud. At power up the led flashes blue then flashes red and I can’t reach the webpage on mycloud as IP address is not present in my router. I have tried wireshark but the only address that found (224.0.0.251) can’t be pinged (illegal?) and has no response when browsed.
Looking at the drive structure, I have a 2mb partition with no content, another with a boot directory which has files uImage and uRamdisk and the directory for the rest of the drive (I deleted the final unallocated partition then expanded the new final, ext4, partition to fill the remaining space, giving me a 993gb directory.
Is this enough to make the drive bootable? I did a 4 second reset, then a 40 second factory reset to no avail, I have left the drive running for over 24 hours now, so it’s had a chance to erase the data folder thoroughly, the led still flashes red. I will leave it overnight and try power cycle then.

Thanks for your help once again.

First, apologies for auto correct changing your name, Bennor. A few words about the network I used to run wireshark: I used the Ethernet port of a laptop, WiFi disabled connected to the mycloud via a simple Ethernet switch, set shark to promiscuous and monitor Ethernet port only. I found the output very complicated, but the only IP address I saw was that I saw. The laptop was set to a fixed address 168.234.1.100. hope this is of use.

Only suggestion I have is retry Fox_Exe’s procedure for unbricking the My Cloud. Typically one does not need to resize any partitions beyond what the unbrick directions may specify. The My Cloud uses a number of partitions (6 or 7 if I remember right based on my first gen unit). The directions detail how to properly set these partitions.

What should happen after properly unbricking the My Cloud is the My Cloud will resize the user partition to use all the available space not used by the other partitions.

Thank you, I will try again from step 1, with the knowledge I have gained. I’ve been reading another thread on this topic which has given me more clues(you have made a big contribution to that also).
Much obliged to you, cheers.

Hello Bennor,

Thanks, I managed to get a 1TB HDD working on the Gen 1 (originally 2 TB) My Cloud. After getting into the dashboard and doing a system only factory restore, I still had a few issues. It was still reading 1.5 TB of capacity and wouldn’t update the firmware. I then tried a “quick” restore which fixed the capacity reading. I then downloaded the newest firmware from the WD support site and manually updated the firmware which fixed the rest of the issues. Thanks again, cheers.