Need to periodically restart Windows 7 to enable sign in from WD TV Live Hub

This is really frustrating.

I set up “Sync Content From A Network Shared Folder” by providing a username/password for Windows 7 and the PC directory to sync from. So far so good. Syncing commences.

At some point the sync process stops (before syncing all the relevent subfolders on my PC to the Hub). When I attempt to reset the Sync (by turning it off and then on again), I get an error that the username/password is invalid. However, if I restart Windows 7, the same username/password entered on the Hub now works.

I don’t think this periodic lack of recognition of a valid username/password is specific to Sync. I think the same thing happened once when I accessed content from a network share (accessing the same Windows 7 PC).

Any ideas why, after soon period of time, the Hub can no longer sign in to the Windows 7 PC? I looked at some of the threads discussing problems with WIndows Live ID Sign-In Assistant. But none of them characterize the problem as intermittent. It seems to be all or nothing–which my situation is not.

Sounds like Windows 7 is set to expire logins or something similar.

GCG

But that wouldn’t explain why the same username/password is rejected as incorrect until a reboot. If a login was merely timing out, then using the same u/p should work immediately to log back in. But that’s not the case in my situation. If a u/p combination was expiring, ie the user is required to change passwords, then the same u/p should not work after a reboot. But it is.

Thanks for your response, but I don’t think it fits the symptoms in this situation.

– Nick

But it’s a change in the Windows 7 box that ‘fixes’ the problem.  That’s why I think is with the W7 box.  Maybe a buried, underdocumented aspect or a bug, but I don’t see it as an issue with the Hub.

If I wiggle my cable at the TV and the picture goes screwy then wiggle it at the cable box and everything is OK then most likely the problem is the cabe or the TV, not the cable box.  Same sort of thing here. You ‘thumped’ your W7 box and corrected the problem, I’d look there.

GCG

A user named “Toddler” was reporting similar issues; not sure if the symptoms are identical.

You might try searching his posts to see.

Thanks. You’re right, Toddler’s problem description looks similar. I’ll let you know what I find wrt his proposed solution.

– Nick

Completely agree that it seems to be a W7 problem, not a WD problem. I just don’t think it is related to an expired password. I think the reference to “Toddler” by  TonyPh12345 may be on the right track.

– Nick