Need to change format from Mac to Windows 8

My macbook crashed last month and now i have an hp with windows 8, that i have no idea how to use,

I had backed up everything on to my passport and now my new computer will not read it or even knows that it is there.

What do I do or how do I reformat it?

Help

If you reformat the drive you will destroy the data. I don’t know if there is a free utility for this or not. I don’t know much about Macs and don’t kmow if this will help or not  http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html  Let me PM somebody that might help.

Joe

1 Like

Grahamli wrote:

My macbook crashed last month and now i have an hp with windows 8, that i have no idea how to use,

I had backed up everything on to my passport and now my new computer will not read it or even knows that it is there.

What do I do or how do I reformat it?

Help

First, if you format it you’ll erase the data so you won’t recover it. How did you backup the files while you were still on your Mac? using time machine? Using a wd backup program like anywhere backup or smartware? Were you just dragging files to the drive?

By default, windows will NEVER see a drive formatted for mac. If you install file system emulator programs like HFSExplore then you’ll be able to pull out the drives you copied manually.