Need some help to get my own movies populate with backdrops

Excuse me if there is an existing guide somewhere about this. If so, please direct me to the proper resources I would need in order to achieve that.

Besides the fact that there is no slow motion feature for playing back my movies I’m very pleased with the WDTV Live Hub. I’m able to get content info for my movies set up with a network share on my NAS and it’ very nice.

I would like to do the same thing for my own movies. I have plenty of them and I wish I could have some pictures to serve as backdrops whenever I hightlight one movie ( so it would do the same as for regular movies). How do I achieve that? I guess it has to do with xml files, is that it? Is there a guide or do you recommend some resources for me to look into? Is there a software that can help me to work with? I saw people talking about ThumbGen, is this the right program to use? Is there a guide for that?

Many questions for a newbie. Thanks, in advance for all your answers.

Here’s a rough How-To.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<details>
<id>0</id>
<imdb_id>tt000000</imdb_id>
<title>CHANGE TITLE</title>
<mpaa>CHANGE RATING</mpaa>
<year>CHANGE DATE</year>
<runtime>CHANGE MINUTES</runtime>
<rating>10</rating>
<genre>CHANGE DRAMA</genre>
<studio>CHANGE STUDIO</studio>
<overview>CHANGE OVERVIEW</overview>
<director>CHANGE DIRECTOR</director>
<actor>
  <name>ACTOR REAL NAME</name>
  <role>ROLE NAME</role>
</actor>
<backdrop>filename.jpg</backdrop>
</details>

Change the items as desired, and save the file as moviename.xml  where the moviename matches the video filename.

Note the xxxx tags.

Change xxxx to a filename of a 1280x720 or 1920x1080 JPG file stored in the same folder as the movie and XML file.

You can add as many sets as you like.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this precious info.

Some more questions:

Can I make a specific folder for my backdops and put the files there?

I noticed thant it does that for regular movies like this: “.Madagascar.backdrop”

In such case, I assume that the information contained in this line would be different: “filename.jpg”

Because I see this for the Madagascar movie:

http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/w780/5yznPRIhQkCpD4B83i0zOUm754E.jpg

Any clue on this?

PVRUser wrote:

Thanks a lot for this precious info.

Some more questions:

Can I make a specific folder for my backdops and put the files there?

I think so, yes.   But you need to have the path relative to the XML file.

So something like this

…/backdropfolder/movie1backdrop01.jpg

What are the two dots (…) in front of the backdrop directory?

I tried that way:  …/.Wedding.backdrop/backdrop00.jpg

and it does not work.

The directory I have created is under the same folder than my movie and its name is : .Wedding.backdrop

you’re dealing with relative paths

path must be relative from perspective of the WD

./Wedding.backdrop/backdropp00.jpg    ←   look for folder beginning from current directory (only 1 dot)

…/Wedding.backdrop/backdropp00.jpg  ←   look for folder begining 1 directory up (2 dots)

sounds like you want a single dot