Need recommendation for a WD TV replacement, since support gone

Hello
I am on a ship and we have a number of the WD boxes, none of them program like any of the others, giving at times a frustrating learning curve. On I have now is scrolling top to bottom fast, resetting does nothing, occasionally a blue WD sign comes up and goes away to scrolling. Any idea on how to stop this? Another question, what is a similar replacement as we network this and use the audio-video feed (small connector on end). Any help is appreciated.

The Fire TV needs internet to properly turn on and display main menu. If you don’t have internet access, you are SOL on many modern conveniences.

I am going to investigate Firestarter or appstarter as these are reported to support local firestick streaming if no Internet is available.

I have no idea why screen is scrolling, Contact WD support for assist.

i FIND THAT android BOX ARE LIMITED GENERALLY TO 2TB DISKS. THESE DISKS DON’T TYPICALLY COME WITH THEIR OWN POWER SUPPLY AND THE ANDROID BOXES DONT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO RUN THE DISK.

My Amlogic S905X 4K Android Box works fine with my USB Portable 4TB My Passport Ultra.

The S905X has a 5V 2A power supply … which is enough to power a USB3.0 device which needs 900mA

Also, my older Raspberry Pi 2 has a 5V 2A power supply … and no problems with 4TB USB3.0 Portable Hard drive.

1 Like

Amazon.ca Just bought this rig. Let you know how it makes out. should arrive in about a week.

1 Like