Need Help with Remotely Uploading - Super Slow!

Hello,

As a basic person who sees the benefits of WD Cloud but does not have a Programming Degree to understand everything about it i was half expecting the product to take care of itself when installed.

But, the main issue i have are two things:

Firslty, Upoading remotely is painful, I have many folders from my office i want to upload say 250Gig, but the time its taking is painful. Is there anything that i should be doing?

Secondly, when im at home on my network and trying to move folders onto WD Cloud the best speed im geeting is 11MB transfer speed, I have a tp-link - Archer 9 Router (gigaset), Cat 6 cables etc

Please if anyone can taake their time to speak to me about how to fix this, also bear in mind i have the basic understanding of computers.

thanks

Rob

It’s all down to data rates…

For your remote upload, what data rates are the connections from office to the internet (uplink) and from internet to home (downlink)?

The slowest of these two rates will determine how long it takes to transfer the data. 250GB is quite a lot of data… At 10Mbps, it would take at least seven hours [edit: oops; I forgot to convert bytes to bits. more like 56 hours…]

At home, it depends on your Ethernet port specs. If you only have Fast Ethernet (100Mbps), 11MBps is a realistic transfer rate. A gigabit Ethernet port should allow you to hit the MyCloud’s disk write limit, and you ought to get between 80 and 110 MBps, depending on model.

If you’re connecting via WiFi, again, that has a lower data rate unless you’re using very good, multi-antenna wifi-ac.

In addition to the good information cpt_paranoia posted, your computer hardware (and hard drive) will also affect the copying speed.

If you haven’t seen or read the following discussion you should, it covers some basics with respect to copying speed with the My Cloud:

One NEVER gets the full advertised speed of their networking equipment or broadband connection. There is typically some network “overhead” in addition to any hardware issues that affect/limit the speed. Typically copying anything over WiFi tends to be slower than copying over Gigabit Ethernet wire.

And while you may have a “fast” multi Megabit broadband connection that doesn’t mean the speed between your remote location and the local My Cloud will be that speed (or the speed of the download link).

Hi,

I have run a few speed test these are the average results.

Home - Download 21Mbps - Upload 5Mbps
Office - Download 28Mbps - Upload 22Mbps

At home i have a Gigabit Ethernet Port that is why i am wondering why im not getting a decent transfer speed at home.

For the remote upload i wish it was 7 hours for the 250Gig ive been trying this ofr days and getting no where, is their a way to test the speed when your uploading remotely?

What are using as a reference on your home network to determine poor local networking speed?

One can use various bench marking programs like Crystal Disk Mark (CrystalDiskMark - Crystal Dew World [en]) to test disk transfer speed to get an estimate of how fast they can transfer data to the My Cloud. Windows File Explorer may not give an accurate report of a drive’s transfer rate/speed.

Do a search through this subforum using the magnifying glass icon upper right as there are several threads where people have posted some My Cloud bench marking results on their local network.

thanks i will have a look.

What program or software are you using to upload to the My Cloud? Using the WD software to upload (be it MyCloud.com or the WD Desktop) is going to potentially introduce further transfer speed reductions.

For example, and assuming the speed between the office location and home location really was a full 22Mbps, a speed calculator (File Download & Upload Time Calculator | File Transfer Time | Data Transfer Speed) estimates it would take at least 24 hours at a minimum under absolute optimal conditions.

Its important to remember that the various online speed tests are only testing the broadband speed between one location and the speed test location site. Generally they do not indicate the actual speed and network latency between your office location and your home location.

Here is a suggestion (if possible). Bring the My Cloud to the office to perform the initial backup (however you are performing that backup). Then if backing up single or small amounts of files in the future it should go much quicker when transferring remotely since you wouldn’t (I assume) be transferring all 250GB, rather just those files that have been updated or which are new.

The upload rate will be the limiting factor. So that will bring you to a minimum of fourteen hours, allowing … oh… I forgot the bytes to bits…

250GB = 2Tb
2Tb / 5Mb = 400000 seconds = 111 hours = 4.7 days.

And that doesn’t include any protocol overhead (there will be a lot).
And doesn’t allow for any Service Level Agreement rate levelling you might be getting (or is your 5Mb the SLA?).

Hi,

I am using the Mycloud website, as i thought that is the only option to upload remotely.

One can use the WD My Cloud Desktop software or the very insecure FTP method to upload files to the My Cloud. Or on iOS and Android mobile device one can use the WD mobile apps. More info can be found at the following links:
http://mycloud.com/learn/?id=mycloud#mc_download
http://setup.wd2go.com/index.php?mod=download&device=mc

Unofficially, and absolutely not supported by WD, there are other remote access methods including using SSH, SFTP, or the CloudDAVMod app.

I have read about the speeds increaseing if i set up a Static IP address and FTP.

The problem is I wouldnt know where to start with this? having just got it set up, to start playing around with it im worried it makes it worse?

Have you read the My Cloud User Manual (WD Documentation)? If not you probably should as it explains the general features and how to use them.

For a static IP address, it is generally recommended to access your local network router’s administration page to which the My Cloud is connected to and assign a static IP Address to the My Cloud. Or one can access the My Cloud Dashboard and manually assign a static IP address. See the following WD support document for more information on setting a static IP address within the My Cloud.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=11384

FTP is NOT secure. Generally your username/password (and potentially any data) used to access the My Cloud FTP server would be sent unencrypted and could potentially be intercepted. FTP should only be used as a last resort for remote access.

That sounds fairly unlikely. You are fundamentally limited by the link data rate. There is a protocol overhead, but most of the protocols are pretty similar in the required overhead, so I doubt if you’d find much noticeable difference.

Bennor’s suggestion of copying the files locally to the office first, and thereafter doing regular, remote deltas is probably the most sane.