Need help WD Red WD20EFRX failing

Hello, I currently have 4 WD Red WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 in a Raid5 on an Adaptec 3805.

I have a problem with all the drives dropping out of the raid intermittently. The controller will list the raid as being degraded with a missing drive. I will then reboot and the drive will be back and will start a rebuild operation.

This is used on a dedicated storage pc for home use so the drives are not being tasked too much. The most that it is asked to do is to record tv using a capture card and then playback. Most of the time it is idle.

So I am not quite sure what is at fault here. I tried changing the cable, tried connecting it to the other connector on the raid card, switching pcie slot. Nothing, the drives will continue to fail intermittently. I also tried to independently remove a drive and connect directly to the motherboard for testing with the WD application (smart test, and long test of all the drive’s sectors) all the drives passed the tests, yet they still dropout.

Is it my raid controller the problem (the 3805 is kinda old now but these are quite costly to replace, I would hope that it is a simple configuration issue). Does the red drives need firmware updates?

I read that trying to disable NCQ could help so I am in the process of testing that right now. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance, your help is very appreciated!!

Hello SVoyager, the Adaptec 3805 is not on the list of compatible devices with the WD Red, so that might be the cause of the problem. You can try testing each drive individually to rule out any possible hardware damage. Check the link below for the steps.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows