Need help recovering deleted partition due to WD's Very Abnormal partition scheme

I have a new in warranty 3 TB My Book external that had it’s partition accidentialy  formatted. All the data is there and none has been overwritten.- I know this because Active Partition Recovery (A tool by Lsoft) will see the folder the data is in, and i can even browse and open some documents - BUT that app will not "fix’ the partition because WD uses a very odd, very abnormal partitioning scheme.

If the drive had normal partitions, the software could have fixed the problem and recovered the entire partition in tact in about 20 seconds. I know this because it works for all other drives - just not any WD externals that i can find.

no other partition recovery apps I have tried will even see the external drive or if it does see the drive, they refuse to work with the drive - again because of WD’s very odd partition scheme.

After i get this data recovered or transfered, i’m going to sell my WD External and never look back - no more WD’s for me Ever - I’d recomment everyone not walk but RUN away as fast as you can from WD external drives.

In th meantime, can anyone help me with theis problem?  Thanks…

DD

Hi and welcome to the WD community

WD external drives normally have NTFS partitions (for windows) or HFS+(for mac) which are standard file systems. Regarding the partition scheme normally on drives that are bigger than 2 TB the OS on this case Windows or Mac OS use what is called a GUID or GPT partition which on this type of drives and operating systems is a standard and it has more to do with how the OS sees the drive.

You can check this link for the WD data recovery partners, you can contact then and in some cases the diagnostic of the drive is free of charge:

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

ArMak wrote:

Hi and welcome to the WD community

WD external drives normally have NTFS partitions (for windows) or HFS+(for mac) which are standard file systems. Regarding the partition scheme normally on drives that are bigger than 2 TB the OS on this case Windows or Mac OS use what is called a GUID or GPT partition which on this type of drives and operating systems is a standard and it has more to do with how the OS sees the drive.

You can check this link for the WD data recovery partners, you can contact then and in some cases the diagnostic of the drive is free of charge:

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

I’m trying to reply to Total Support but for some reason i cannot type in the rich text area. My apologies for not getting back to total support right away, i just got married and had busy week. I will try to contact total support again so they can call me this week. Any idea why i cannot type in rich text i hd to use HTMl for this post… it’s very odd… i think my browser is missing up.