Need Help on differences from My Cloud vs My Cloud home

Hello Community.
Although I’m a WD consumer for years, I’m new here and this is my first contact.
I’m in the market for My Cloud and I’m getting completely confused trying to figure out the differences from My Cloud and My Cloud home on single HD.
I’ve called WD help support a couple of times, read a few articles and watch a series of videos, and the more I go more confused I’m getting. Need desperately the communities help.
Here’s what I need to know:
I will be using it to work on a financial file that I work with others (one at a time), in Dropbox. The file is always in Dropbox and who ever goes in the program (installed on a PC), accesses the file and works on it, in Dropbox.
Then… I will need to access different files and documents as I travel, from my laptop, tablet or smartphone and at the same time, upload stuff to the cloud from one of the three.
I’m not a computer guru (just know a few things), so the easier to install and operate, the better (doesn’t mean I can’t push myself if necessary).
Also… I need to give others access to My Cloud but have it limited, or, if possible, the same as Dropbox or similar where they can have access to it on their own folder and I can access it too when needed.

All help on this will be extremely appreciated.
Thank you all for your efforts.

Here is a good place to start, http://learn.mycloud.com/ .

There is a good reason the My Cloud is highly accepted and the My Cloud Home is not by many users. This is a link to the forum announcement regarding the newer Home devices. The many comments that follow it are enough to convince anyone to steer clear of the Home devices and stick with the earlier My Cloud device.

I have a more advanced My Cloud NAS and I love it, It is my home media server for accessing my collection of music, photo and video files I can play on over a dozen different devices I possess.

But. I am not clear why you need any kind of My Cloud if you are only going to collaborate on a few files with others. It seems that the use of Dropbox is all you need. Why do you not feel this way, too?

Thank you cat0w for the link. Any other info will always be well appreciated.

Hello mike27oct
Thank you for your efforts. Truly appreciate it.
You sent me an article on My Cloud home but sounds like you’re suggesting that MyCloud is better.
Didn’t get that well. The reason I need My cloud is to have all my files and documents in it and be able to access them wherever I travel. In the past, I would carry my two WDpassport with me. This way they will stay home.

It sounds like the HINT came through loud and clear: especially if you read some of the many negative comments of the Home device. The problem derived from the fact many people thought the Home was an “upgrade” of the My Cloud, but in many ways it is a “downgrade”. In defense of WD, they never indicated the Home was an upgrade.

So, here is the My Cloud you need to buy, the one in the middle titled just “My Cloud”>

I suggest you buy it directly from the WD Store, as that way you ensure you get the most current model, as many sellers are selling older models but do not tell you they are.

Thank you much for this info. Things start to clear up now.
WD doesn’t sell them directly now. Only recertified ones (weird).
I wonder if they are stopping making them because you don’t even find them out there available like you find the MC home. I can probably get it at Staples or Office Depot. Do you know if there’s a way to know if I’ll get an older model?

VERY interesting. This may take a little sleuthing, A quick check at Amazon says they are out of stock but expect more on Feb 23. This could indicate a new model is on the near horizon. I need to do some checking around further in the next 24 hours. So hang tight and I will be back to you with my findings later tomorrow. Don’t buy anything yet.

The plot thickens. It is looking like the original My Cloud is history. Last night I wrote you and said Amazon shows out of stock, but more expected in two days on Feb.23. Today it does not say that – it just states it is available from other sellers. Even Best Buy shows out of stock. I cannot find any announcement from WD regarding a new version. and, I suggest waiting to see what new clues appear within the coming week.

I cannot imagine WD is really going to lead with the Home devices as their bottom line Home is barely a NAS device,
unless they have decided that for people who want a NAS (and not a Home) now have to step up to their line of full throttle NAS devices like the entry model EX2 Ultra. I believe most people today are looking for a more robust NAS with more features and capacity than what the basic My Cloud has been. It will be interesting to see how this all play out. Meanwhile be patient for now.
See post I just made for all My Cloud Trekkies:

Hi mike27oct
Thanks a lot for all this info! Sherlock Holmes wouldn’t like that (lol).

You’re very right and all that concernig out of stock.
Right now you only find them at Office Depot and Staples.

Here’s what I did… and let’s see how it goes. When you go to the page of the Cloud at WD website, there’s a button that says “where to buy” and obviously takes you to different stores. Next to it… there’s a link saying “notify when available”, which I assume it’s referring to WD stock. I put in my email, so now, let’s see if I get anything back from WD and soon.

In the meantime, I’ll take your advice on hanging there to see what happens.
Thank you again for all your efforts. Keep me posted on your discoveries.

This forum post I made today has the My Cloud fan club chattering a lot. Check it out.

Yes, please keep me informed as well.