NAS Standby N/W?

My EX4 used to put the drives to sleep (Settings/Drive Sleep/Enabled) and display a message on the display “NAS Standby” (IIRC).  Since the last 2 firmware updates this is no longer happening although it appears that the unit is sleeping the drives (drive lights not blinking), but I no longer get the confirmation in the display.

Is anyone’s EX4 displaying the “Standby” message, or is it just mine that’s not?

skiwi wrote:

My EX4 used to put the drives to sleep (Settings/Drive Sleep/Enabled) and display a message on the display “NAS Standby” (IIRC).  Since the last 2 firmware updates this is no longer happening although it appears that the unit is sleeping the drives (drive lights not blinking), but I no longer get the confirmation in the display.

Is anyone’s EX4 displaying the “Standby” message, or is it just mine that’s not?

Hi skiwi,

We have passed this information along to support.

EX2 has same problem.  Since the last firmware update the unit no longer generates a notice of any sort when going into sleep mode.  YES it does go into sleep mode, just doesnt generate a notice of same.  Nothing via notices or logs.

Vertech1 - I am running an older version of the firmware on EX2 (reverted back after briefly upgrading to the latest firmware in July only to find out it did not contain the ftp fix I have been waitng from WD forever).

I do not see any notices in the user.log file about going to sleep under firmware 1.02.08. I don’t think going into sleep mode was ever logged.

Thats odd, because mine sure did before the upgrade.  In fact if you told it to notify you via email you would get a slew of email notices whenever it went to sleep.  Check what level you have yours set to generate notices for.  You must have yours set to only show critical messages.

Aah, okay…that must be why. I never did tell it to notify me :slight_smile: You didn’t say THAT before about setting it to notify you. I thought you meant it does it without you doing anything.

Please refer to the KB Article below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11723

Thanks.  I have loaded Quickview on my Mac.

When I click the taskbar icon, and select “Dashboard”, I get a tab opened with “NAS-name.local” as the URL.  This does not resolve in my case.  Any ideas?

BTW, I also get a menu with:

Serial Number:

Space Available:

Temparature:

Smart Drive Status:

Should I be expecting to see Smart Drive Status be “Standby”?

OK, the issue seemed to be that the unit would not sleep when it has a USB HDD atatched.  When I unplugged this the unit is now showing “Red” on the Quick View Dash - with an option to “Wake this Device”