NAS - Network shares - no access - A fix for me

chaps,

this was driving me nuts - the same old problem after upgrade to 1.02.21 - unable to access “network shares”  folders on my NAS (it was fine on Windows 7 PC - but no use to me).  Also accessing Media Servers worked fine (with DLNA turned on on the NAS, or with Twonky - but I don’t like either of those as it has to re-index new content.)

I tried various things - factory reset in the options, clearing old logon info etc. 

I had my USB stick with old firmware to hand and  was just about to roll back when I thought about pressing the reset button on the side of the box.

That has done the trick (for me at least). 

After that, the first attempted connection to “Network Shares”, selecting my NAS, prompted me for a username and password - and now it connects fine.

Of course it has buggered up my thumbnails but…

I hope this helps - in fact I created an account here just to help out the frustrated others. :smiley:

In summary:

1. Upgraded firmware.

2. Reset factory setting (no joy)

3. Pressed the hardware reset.

4. Reselected Video > Network Shares

5. Input username and password for NAS.

6. Bingo! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Tony_Syno_NAS wrote:

chaps,

this was driving me nuts - the same old problem after upgrade to 1.02.21 - unable to access “network shares”  folders on my NAS (it was fine on Windows 7 PC - but no use to me).  Also accessing Media Servers worked fine (with DLNA turned on on the NAS, or with Twonky - but I don’t like either of those as it has to re-index new content.)

I tried various things - factory reset in the options, clearing old logon info etc. 

I had my USB stick with old firmware to hand and  was just about to roll back when I thought about pressing the reset button on the side of the box.

That has done the trick (for me at least). 

After that, the first attempted connection to “Network Shares”, selecting my NAS, prompted me for a username and password - and now it connects fine.

Of course it has buggered up my thumbnails but…

I hope this helps - in fact I created an account here just to help out the frustrated others. :smiley:

In summary:

1. Upgraded firmware.
  2. Reset factory setting (no joy)
  1. Pressed the hardware reset.
  1. Reselected Video > Network Shares
  1. Input username and password for NAS.
  1. Bingo! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the input. 

If you read the other posts on this board you will see that the accepted solution to most problems is to do exactly what you posted plus recycle the power by unplugging for short while. Some people report success (it has so far always worked for me) and some people don’t. Strangely there are some people who don’t believe you should have to do this to get it working and prefer to moan and live with their problems.

ah sorry rich, I’d seen elements of this in various posts but no definitive process.

As you say, it seems to work for some -  I wonder if those who can’t get it working actually tried everything.

Funnily enough I went back to the WD Live box a minute ago and got the same error - waiting for a second then trying again and it listed the share contents…

I was hoping the intermitent issue of “unable to access share” had gone away.  However it’s very likely this is due to my NAS not being quick enough to respond to the WD box - it’'s running several jobs at the moment, so CPU is occupied, which I forgot to take into account.

I find that sometimes the network share takes time to come up and it appears to take longer the more you press the button! 

Personally when something does not work I try all the user methods available. If there are any reset facilities whether buttons or in menu’s I use them and with any electronic device it is recommenced to pull out the plug and leave it off for a few minutes. This approach works for me 99% of the time.