NAS compatible with SSD

I have a Mac. I’m wondering about getting one of the NAS backups.

Are any of the diskless NAS drives compatible with SSD?

No one would use SSD hard drive for NAS as a storage space.

Why not?

It’s faster than an HDD. It would probably require an adapter to fit in the space occupied by an HDD.

Would someone please explain why no one would use an SSD in a NAS storage device?

I would.

the main reason would be price. A SSD drive is about 5 to 10 times more expensive than a comparable hard drive. Also SSDs are not used in RAID configurations (as far as I know)
Here is a calculation: a 1 TB SSD (ADATA Premier SP610 SSD 1TB 2.5zoll MLC SATA600) costs $400. For an EX you need 4 pieces. That adds up to $1600 for the drives and gives you a total RAID 5 capacity of 3 TB.
Are you willing to pay that for that capacity?
Another thought: The limiting factor on a NAS is not the HD speed but the EtherNet connection, so i doesn’t really make sense to have faster drives, if the network connection can’t keep up.

1 Like

I suppose that you are right. Even though SSDs are getting more reliable, they still have a limited number of read-write cycles. That’s just the nature of the beast. Besides, the SSD would need an adapter to fit in the space occupied by an HDD. And the OS would have to support SSDs.

Another thought: The limiting factor on a NAS is not the HD speed but the EtherNet connection, so it doesn’t really make sense to have faster drives, if the network connection can’t keep up.

I suppose that also rules out using velociraptor drives in a NAS system, right?

We use QNAP NAS units with WD RED 3.5inch drives, the NAS is always running at full network speeds (30Mb/s +) as 10Gb Ethernet arrives that will catch up with true real NAS speeds i would think.

We do however use SSD in boot systems with RAID (which is why i am here now researching the BLUE SSD drives as SATA)

If you use RAID 5 then the limiting factor is the RAID level.

My EX4100 was 10 times faster writing a file with JBOD than with RAID 5.

I like the redundancy of RAID 5 and am considering RAID 5 with 4x2TB SSD’s.
Physical adapters are < $10 each.
Prices are way down from when this thread started.
Read Write count is less than with an actual PC.
After all, this 4100 is a file repository for home.
It holds movies, pictures and all my software and backups.
Read write activity is low on this machine.

1 Like