N900 Wifi Dropping after 1-2 days

Firmware Version 1.05.12

My N900 seems to be doing something very weird.

After 1-2 days my wireless will stop transmitting data. The connection is fine and it is showing properly in the DHCP table. Resetting the router corrects the problem, but even more weird is that if I just change a setting and save the new settings the wireless will start transmitting again, but then it starts all over again after a few days…

Any thoughts?

It is just overheating. Try to cool it down by any means. Placing it on a cheap laptop cooling pad might do the trick.

Overheating? I refuse to accept that as a proper answer. 

1. It’s out in the open with at least 12 inches behind it, 12 inches above it, and 6 inches on each side, not in a cabinet nor covered.

2. If it were overheating, simply changing a setting and saving the configuration wouldn’t bring the wireless back to life.

3. if it IS overheating, then that it unacceptable, and I’ll be returning it for a linksys product.

It may sound harsh, but a router designed to be a storage solution shouldn’t have any type of heating problem. I’d rather lose the 2TB and have a router that works.

Kronos9326 wrote:

Overheating? I refuse to accept that as a proper answer. 

1. It’s out in the open with at least 12 inches behind it, 12 inches above it, and 6 inches on each side, not in a cabinet nor covered.
  1. If it were overheating, simply changing a setting and saving the configuration wouldn’t bring the wireless back to life.

1. if it IS overheating, then that it unacceptable, and I’ll be returning it for a linksys product.

It may sound harsh, but a router designed to be a storage solution shouldn’t have any type of heating problem. I’d rather lose the 2TB and have a router that works.

You’re preaching to the choir, as you can tell if you read in this forum section a bit. I think we all need to find ways to put pressure on WD. One way is to post our troubles here. Most of us have contacted tech support, though I don’t see reports of many people who’ve heard back.

The last time I encountered a wall of silence from tech support problem like this, it was just a matter of weeks before the product line was discontinued. That was with a GPS made by Motorola. Like Motorola with GPS devices, WD is moving beyond its core area with routers, and I’m wondering if they’ve bitten off more than they can chew. I hope I’m wrong.

When this router works, it works great. But nobody wants an unreliable router.

I’m happy with their hard drives, but I can’t live with this.

If anyone from WD is reading this right now, you’ve got a router that’s on it’s way back to your warehouse.

I’m not putting up with a wireless router that cuts me off randomly throughout the day. I work from home and as awesome as this product sounds, it’s not working for me.

I’m sorry WD, but when the bugs are worked out then let me know and I’ll be all over your router again, but for now, I need reliability more than I need access to files.

I can 100% confirm that you are experiencing the overheating issues that a ton of N900 owners are having.  

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Net-Networking-Devices/Help-My-network-keeps-dropping/td-p/516882/page/3

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Net-Networking-Devices/Help-My-network-keeps-dropping/td-p/516882/page/4

I have also noticed your exact problem on mine before I installed my laptop cooler under it, and yes, just the wifi can drop out (also reported a LOT on the forums) and come back on when you change the settings as each time you change the settings, it has to turn the transmitter off, re-tune, and turn it back on.  What this means is that if it shut the wifi transmitter off to save itself due to heat, by the time you notice it, log into the router, update the settings, and it turns the transmitter back on, it very well have cooled just enough to resume functioning.

I will get a cooler too.

That being said I experimented by downgrading to 1.03.11 and now the cooling fan spins, the router works and even the WDPhoto works again.

Of course, the WD Media Player cannot play videos anymore, but I can live with that for now.