N900 Password resets to default after reboot

I experienced this problem during my initial setup process when I first bought the router back in December 2012.  I have since upgraded to the latest firmware and it just happened again.

I rebooted my router tonight (no changes to the configuration, just a reboot initiated from the router’s admin page), and could not subsequently log in.  I tried the default password (“password”) and it allowed me in, so it had reset the password to the default again.  

I was able to change it back to my secure password but this bug is definitely not corrected in the most recent firmware which I upgraded to a couple of weeks ago.

Firmware Version: 1.06.18

Firmware Build Date: Fri  21  Dec  2012 

Hello,

Have you contact WD support to see if is a regular issue or just your device?

I know for sure that when you reset the unit, it will reset the password for the unit,

Was this a Reboot (not Reset)? Which firmware were you on prior to upgrading? I haven’t had any issues losing the password after a reboot.

swbrains wrote:

I experienced this problem during my initial setup process when I first bought the router back in December 2012.  I have since upgraded to the latest firmware and it just happened again.

I rebooted my router tonight (no changes to the configuration, just a reboot initiated from the router’s admin page), and could not subsequently log in.  I tried the default password (“password”) and it allowed me in, so it had reset the password to the default again.  

I was able to change it back to my secure password but this bug is definitely not corrected in the most recent firmware which I upgraded to a couple of weeks ago.

Firmware Version: 1.06.18

Firmware Build Date: Fri  21  Dec  2012 

I don’t remember the firmware version prior to upgrading - it was whatever version shipped on it in Dec 2012 when I bought it.  :(

It was just a reboot, not a reset.  I initiated it from the Admin page and all other settings (like DHCP IP reservations, port forwarding, and wireless settings/passwords) were all retained without a problem.  Only the password was reset to default as a result, so I don’t think the router did a full reset.  I’m always very careful when I’m in there to make sure I only hit the Reboot option and not Reset.

I did read a thread here about some problems in earlier firmware with longer passwords being lost and reset to the default randomly.  But my password is not that long (about 12 chars) so I doubt it’s the cause.

I have rebooted a number of times successfully.  This is only the second time it happened in a month (in about a dozen reboots), so it’s definitely not consistent.

Hello

I remembered your post when I just this minute rebooted my n900 just and its behaved exactly like yours.

Just a plain reboot because of one of the routers other faults of loosing wifi or the performance dropping and then when trying to log back in the password had returned to default.

What to do I dont know