N900 MAC filtering

Just got the device to replace a very buggy and problematic Netgear and so far I’m really liking the performance, features and the UI. I have a couple of questions about the features which is somewhat confusing:

1. if I want UI access via https, then remote (by remote I assume it means out in the WAN) access has to be enabled as well. This seems somewhat admin unfriendly since there are many scenarios where intra-LAN access to the UI should be done via secure pipe. I know I can always create a FW rule to deny access to whatever port used for remote, but it seems backwards.

2. MAC address filtering: again, it seems to fall short. if static DHCP entries are defined (MAC based) I would assume that when the filtering is enabled to allow addresses, the defined DHCP entries would be automtically incorporated, instead it looks like only the table on the filter page is used and everything else gets locked out. This seems like a shortcoming to me, is there something I’m missing ?

scruffidog wrote:

Just got the device to replace a very buggy and problematic Netgear and so far I’m really liking the performance, features and the UI. I have a couple of questions about the features which is somewhat confusing:

2) MAC address filtering: again, it seems to fall short. if static DHCP entries are defined (MAC based) I would assume that when the filtering is enabled to allow addresses, the defined DHCP entries would be automtically incorporated, instead it looks like only the table on the filter page is used and everything else gets locked out. This seems like a shortcoming to me, is there something I’m missing ?> * * *

Isn’t that what the filter is for?

it will exclude any other device that does not belong on the list

I’m not sure if you’re understanding the issue:

example:

define in  lan->dhcp client table:

192.168.100.1    xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx    host1

192.168.100.2    yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy    host2

security->mac addr filtering->enable with allow->on

need to explicitly add those above defined addresses to list in order for then to be on network

b/c of limited space (i think you are allowed 20+ addresses) and to eliminate redundancy, I’m thinking that entries that are defined in one section should be automatically carried over to the other. hopefully this is more understandable.

1- from the top of my head i remember u can access the parental control settings remotely (and yes, remotely means from outside ur network) dont remember exactly if u can access all teh features of the UI remotely, but u can probably access one of ur computers remotely and then the UI through it, worth a try! check the user manual for more info on remote access.

2- when u set up the mac filter to allow only the mac addresses u tell it to, the router will just give an ip address to those devices based on the range defined on the dhcp table…

if what u want to do is add a specific (static) ip address to a device, and allow that device mac address to connect to ur router, excluding other devices (mac addresses) then just go to device settings > lan > device and client tables and manually add ur device static ip, the mac address of it and the name, then go to the mac filter and add the mac adress of that device, then everytime that device connects to ur router, it will have that ip, instead of getting one from the dhcp table range

eit: forgot to say u can remotely access the internal drive of a n900 central using wd2go, not sure if that way will have access to the UI as well, since i only own a 900 not a 900c D: can someone confirm this please?