N900 Central: Very slow transfer rate

So after getting my N900 Central swapped out by WD for the overheating issue I had I am now stuck with a very slow transfer rate.

1. Firmware 1.05 and direct ethernet into the router with the router in router mode.  When transferring 2tb of data the best I would get was just under 5mb a second.
  2. Firmware 1.06 and the same as the 1st as far as wiring. Transferring the same 2tb of data I was only able to get 2.5mb a second.
  3. Firmware 1.06 and placing the router into AP connecting to the PC with a 6ft Ethernet cord.  Transferring the same 2tb of data would peak around 2.5mb

On my first N900Central that had overheating issues I was able to get 10-20mb sec transfer rates.  Anyone have any suggestions for getting some more speed out of this thing?

my transfer rates are even worst. Then again, I am using in-line power adapters (peaking around 1.2mbps). Those adapters are rated at 200mbps.

would love to see if anyone has any suggestions to fix this.

Anyone got suggestions?  My old router would get up to about 20mb with the cooling fan underneath it but this one does nothing with the fan underneath it.  Is that the same ballpark transfer rates most people are expeirencing with the newest firmware?

I have a non central n900 using external usb 3 hdd and my speeds are very similar, junk. I have to unplug it and usb direct to pc to do major moves. Kind of worthless in my opinion. Either the router is fast and doesn’t crash while usb is slow or vice versa. It has been like this since 1.3 firmware. Still working with level 2 techs on it.

I swapped out my n900 for my old dir-655 which has ran strong for years. My wife runs her practice from home so to have so many reboots and crashes… Well we should have just gotten asus routers. If there is no way to increase these transfer speeds then it is all together pointless to own. Might as well use an online backup serivce as my upload to that is quicker.

Hello,

Today I get my n900 central 2TB,

maybe I have not the right settings on the moment, but the transfer speed is very slow (2MB/s)

what can I do to get quicker transfers from my notebook to the n900 central?

I tried with a lan cable, but the same transfer speed

Greets,

Arnout

Arnus wrote:

Hello,

Today I get my n900 central 2TB,

maybe I have not the right settings on the moment, but the transfer speed is very slow (2MB/s)

what can I do to get quicker transfers from my notebook to the n900 central?

I tried with a lan cable, but the same transfer speed

Greets,

Arnout

1. We all are suffering as it is a firmware/cpu/chipset problem

2. My only known solution is to buy a different router - worked for me!

Maybe I do not understand at all, but my internet speed is good for me.

Only the transfer speed to the harddisk inside is very slow.

You say that I need a different router but why is this the solution for me? Will be the transfer speed to the harddisk quicker with another router?

The key problem is WD’s router.  Here is why…

USB 2.0 = 35MB (megabytes) per second Max by design

USB 3.0 = 625MB per second by design

The problem is you will never get the designed throughput, this is due to millions of reasons.  My N900 non-central cannot get to 6MB per second.  Therefore the limitation is the router.

Due to the router locking up during big file transfers, I would say it is an issue with the chipset/CPU.  Since it locks up + is very slow, I would conclude that there is a real issue with the WD router.  Also the “Blue USB 3.0 Looking Port” IS NOT A USB 3.0 to my knowledge, let alone the speed still stinks with a USB3.0 device.  I think the blue color was to provide a visual indication of where a HDD goes…

If you cannot live with the speed, you have two choices… 1. Join me in my crusade to have WD deliver the product as advertised… 2. Buy a different brand router that performs to its specs / advertisement.

For me, I have done both.  The reason I am still here on this forum complaining is to help myself and my purchase; and also help others that cannot afford to buy routers that simply don’t work.

Nissan I had gotten up to around 20mb transfer rate on my old router.  I sent it back to WD for cooling issues (the fan was not coming on).  The new router I have only gets to about 5mb if I’m lucky.  So its possible that these routers can get a faster transfer rate.