N900 Central: AFP support is broken

N900 Central 1TB with latest firmware (1.07.16). OSX 10.8.4

Not sure if the problem is in OSX or in the router’s firmware.

But for starters, if you try to copy a file that has extended attributes, these won’t be copied:

$ cp LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg /Volumes/Public/tmp/
cp: LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg: could not copy extended attributes to /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg: Invalid argument

The console shows these errors:

cp[1417] Unable to quarantine `LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg’: 22

AFP_VFS afpfs_vnop_listxattr:  bad dataLength offset 2 replySize 0

[many more times]

The first one is because it’s trying to copy the com.apple.quarantine extended attribute. The others probably are the reason why it can’t.

The problem is particularly annoying when trying to save files directly from applications that, like Chrome, try to quarantine the file before starting to write its content. The download will just fail.

Sometimes nor even the file will be completely copied, failing in the middle of the process:

$ cp LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg /Volumes/Public/tmp/
cp: /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg: Input/output error
cp: LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg: could not copy extended attributes to /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg: Invalid argument
cp: /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg: Invalid argument

Giving these extra kernel errors:

0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Write] [PBlkNum 256] [LBlkNum 256] [FSLogMsgID 182463658] [FSLogMsgOrder First]
0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode //luismc@n900/Public] [MountPt /Volumes/Public] [Path /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg] [FSLogMsgID 182463658] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]
0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Write] [PBlkNum 512] [LBlkNum 512] [FSLogMsgID 1644889769] [FSLogMsgOrder First]
0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode //luismc@n900/Public] [MountPt /Volumes/Public] [Path /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg] [FSLogMsgID 1644889769] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]

[many more times]

Or the file might end in a state you cannot even delete it:

$ rm /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg
rm: /Volumes/Public/tmp/LibreOffice_4.1.0_MacOS_x86.dmg: Resource busy

Hello and welcome,

Extended attributes should not prevent a file from being saved. Have you tried to copy this type of file manually? 

They don’t prevent to copy a file (although sometimes, as I mentioned, copying files fails, but probably because another reason), but they prevent to directly save files from certain applications that, before actually writing the file, try to set the extended attributes. Try to save a file directly from Chrome to the shared volume and you’ll see.

More manually than a ‘cp’? If you mean using Finder, yes, I’ve tried to copy files using Finder. Sometimes it works, sometimes it gives an “The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50).” error.

Hi luismcv, please check your private messages. 

i bvought 2 of these N900 central 2TB, 10 days ago, and even at the latest firmware revision, i am experiencing all the problems you can find by searching on these forums (storage magically dissapearing, etc…) and not without mentioning the very bad support from wd.

i am bring back the to the store and promissing myself to never get back to WD for routers!!!

WD customers services leave a lot to be desired. They take more than a week to reply each time, and after a month they still haven’t even been able to tell me if they can reproduce my problem.