MyPassport Wireless Pro Feature Suggestion

The WiFi is fast enough when I’m on the road to access and download content. I wish it was faster, but it serves the purpose. When the unit is at home the wireless is just very slow. It would be great if the USB3 port could use a USB3 to gigabit ethernet adapter, so when it’s at home I could just plug it into my network and not have to plug it directly into my computer. That feature would extend usability, wouldn’t require a hardware change, it would be a software change that detects an ethernet adapter instead of a USB stick.

Have you tried turning off the downlink/SSID broadcasting when your MPWP is connected to your home router so the Wi-Fi bandwidth isn’t splitted 2 ways (up and down)? Distance to the router is also critical to get best performance.

I haven’t tried that. How do you turn off the downlink/ssid?

thanks

I have an original MPW, not the Pro, and it only has 2.4G wireless. This is how I have sped things up.:

I followed the instructions in the complete user manual to connect the MPW to my home network. Configured this way, I place the MPW close to the router such as a few feet from it to cause a strong connection between the two. I do not need to be near the MPW; just be anywhere in house where wi-fi signal is strong. Using the iPad or phone, I connect either to the 5G router signal. Watching videos works much better and faster this way as I have separate uplink and downlink paths and 5G is faster than 2,4G, too.

You need the complete manual to refer to with this gadget.

EDIT:
I see you have a Pro, so always use 5G, connect the MPWP to your network for home use and keep the MPWP near your router as mentioned.

Yes the Pro is always connected to my wireless router on the 5ghz band. The wireless router is an AC1900, so the max speed on the 5ghz band is 1300 mbps. The pro sits less than a foot from said router.

So going back to the manual for the pro I found this My Passport Wireless Pro & SSD: Wi-Fi broadcasting name (SSID) Has Disappeared for managing the Access Point Settings. Unfortunately, I’m on firmware My Passport Wireless Pro v1.03.04, which doesn’t have this option. I did set Wi-Fi Inactivity Disable to 1 mins, but 10 minutes later, it’s still broadcasting

Sounds like you are connected fine and unless your video files have a too-high bit rate, you should have no problems I make my own mp4/m4v files with Handbrake using the default setting in program for iPad. The only change I make from default is to bump up audio from 160 to 256. I only change video to be “same as source” and choose VBR… My videos play fine from MPW thru network; even most made from blu-ray discs Ones made from DVDs all work fine. Even playing directly from MPW internal 2.4G wireless signal is very successful.

Mike, I appreciate your help. Playback hasn’t been an issue for me, unless like you mentioned it’s a very high bitrate. I don’t even need to transcode or mux the source, most of my videos play fine. Only the muxed blurays AVC files will stumble.

I’ve poked around on the Pro before via ssh, it’s mostly just a plain vanilla linux. I may try to write some linux code to recognize a USB to ethernet adapter and connect via the USB 2.0 type A connection. At least with USB 2.0 I’ll get 480mbps which is more than a single channel 5ghz AC stream.

I love the Pro, it’s kept me company on many overseas trips. The one thing in my opinion that holds it back is better connectivity. Add an ethernet port or go 802.11ac MIMO or both.

I’m sure the next version will have a faster processor (which will be welcomed) and better connectivity,

You’re welcome. If you get into SSH and Linux, you have a different skill set than I do. I basically understand how my wireless drives work and how to get the best out of them as they are.

Another wireless product you may be interested in is the Sandisk Connect wireless stick. (another WD company added to their family within the past year or two.)

I got my two Connects from Amazon. They are pocket size wireless flash drives for use with mobile devices. I have a 64G and later got a 200G model. I can’t have my whole collection of music and videos on it as I can my 2TB MPW, but it is a whole lot more convenient than juggling a MPW in an airplane seat .The Connect is small enough to have in my pocket on planes, buses and trains, etc. and you can also tote the MPW for use in hotel rooms if you like. Check out the Connect at Amazon.

I’ve looked at the Connect multiple times and found it not quite there yet. Most of my videos are around 5mbps bit rate, The connect maxes out around 3mbps. I normally stream from my MPWP using twonky when I’m on the road. No need to transfer files and I have my choice of video players. On the Connect you’re limited to IOS app. The MPWP also serves as a file server, so when I need to load up my iPad for the return trip can just transfer what I want. I’m always looking for a better way. And I appreciate the suggestion. At one point I used to carry 3 x 2tb WD portable drives with content. The MPWP completely replaced that setup and offered far more functionality.

I’m sure when WD launches a new upgraded version of MPWP, I’ll again be one of the first to buy it.

did set Wi-Fi Inactivity Disable to 1 mins, but 10 minutes later, it’s still broadcasting

@nbourbaki, i believe if you still have device connected to the MPWP Wi-Fi/SSID, it will continue to stay on to avoid interruption. Check if that’s the case.

jchan, Yes, I’ve checked. With the MPWP connected to my home router, I log into the device through the web interface on the home router network IP address. Going to the WiFi section, it shows no directly attached devices. I’ve refreshed many times and it’s the same. No direct connect devices.

What are the steps you use to do this to save to iPad, and what apps do you use to view the saved video, or any video?

I’m using Infuse Pro 4. I connect to the MPWP as a file share under Infuse, click the files I want to move over and it transfers. Infuse Pro 4 also allows me to delete files I’ve already watched. For a large transfer, like before a trip, I connect the iPad via USB/iTunes and transfer directly to Infuse in App File sharing to Infuse Documents. That way I’m transferring via USB which is faster. I don’t keep any video files in the iTunes video player since I’ve switched to the Infuse player.

Thanks for the info. I have the free version of Infuse on my iPad; not sure if it has the save video feature. I use FileBrowser; a well;-regarded iOS file management app like MS File Explorer or mac Finder. It’s also a media player that gets updated frequently. I can put it on my iPads and iPhone for a one time $6 cost I made years ago. It also casts media files to Chromecast and Google Home. Company also makes an app called MusicStreamer I just love, for $4. My favorite music app. I can even use for my MPW music as well as from my WD NAS.

Check out the company website here: https://www.stratospherix.com/

I can’t remember if the free version allows this, but there should be a … in the upper right hand corner. of the main screen Pressing the … brings up a menu with Add Files, Select, Sort By Framerate. Selecting Add Files, brings up a new screen with options for source including “via Network Share”. Type in the share name and you’ll get a list of files you can transfer. After you’ve done this, there is a section in the lower left menu of Saved Shares. The only trick is that when you identify the file you want to transfer, don’t press on the title. There is a little icon on the right of the title that looks like a cloud with a down arrow. That’s the download icon. It will save the file in the Infuse application file space and if you’re connected to the internet, it will download the cover art and description of the title.

I have Filebrowser and use it for other things. Very handy when I need to review a log file for a server.

Hope that helps

OK, got it. Thanks.