MyPassport 1Tb USB 3.0 stopped working

Hi everyone,

Everyone said that something wrong happend before the HD stopped working. But my HD stopped without any previous problem.

One day ago I transfered some movies to my external HD (approximately 250 Gb), after the files transfered I removed the HD (using Windows Safety remove hardware). In the follow day I conected the HD but it took too long time to read. After it stopped reading it do not show as external HD, instead it shows as Hard Disk Drive (as it was internal).

Another important point is that after read it shows xxx Gb of xxx Gb but when you double click it there is no file in the external HD.

So, it stopped working without any reason.

I haven’t swapped any cable.

I haven’t updated any driver.

There is any weird noise.

The external HD haven’t experienced any shock.

It was the first time the HD has more then 500 Gb (almost half of his capacity).

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Can anyone help me?

I have same drive i think and experienced a failure for no apparent reason.

Am trying to determine whether i should count my losses and throw the thing away or whether there is a chance of recovery -

is there any diagnostic software on this site that is available to help identify whether this a crash head  or something ;

bagebernardi wrote:

Hi everyone,

Everyone said that something wrong happend before the HD stopped working. But my HD stopped without any previous problem.

One day ago I transfered some movies to my external HD (approximately 250 Gb), after the files transfered I removed the HD (using Windows Safety remove hardware). In the follow day I conected the HD but it took too long time to read. After it stopped reading it do not show as external HD, instead it shows as Hard Disk Drive (as it was internal).

Another important point is that after read it shows xxx Gb of xxx Gb but when you double click it there is no file in the external HD.

So, it stopped working without any reason.

I haven’t swapped any cable.

I haven’t updated any driver.

There is any weird noise.

The external HD haven’t experienced any shock.

It was the first time the HD has more then 500 Gb (almost half of his capacity).

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Can anyone help me?

this could be a virus or file corruption

will need a recovery software to retrieve data 

you can reformat the drive after that

Virus??? No way. Antivirus is updated and a complete scan was run at the same day.

File corruption? Maybe, but as I said, I removed using the ‘Safety remove’ option. So, it should not happen.

I don’t think any of this suggestion was the problem here.

Thank you anyway Wizer.

The same problem with me !!!

All my data is about lose!!!

Anyone could help us?

Please!

Please!

My hd wD passport is encrypted but no data recovery service has the code to enter the data. I called WD in california but i was informed that there is less the company can do to help. Please help!