Mynet N900 barely usable; hope fw update comes soon

Maddog82 wrote: “Now to just get WD to update the firmware to make their fan turn on sooner and spin faster so I don’t have to leave my laptop cooling pad under it.”

Please do try to get this important info to the support people at WD. I hope they are already at work on this, but you never know.

Thanks again for posting. My router has been working much, much better since I put it up on stilts, though it has cut off today, presumably because of heat. I’m still testing this solution. Maybe I’ll try a desk fan as you did.

Glad it has helped someone else.  One thing to keep in mind is that electronics are super sensitive to being over heated and multiple trips past thermal limits WILL damage parts beyond recovery.  Typically RAM/cache goes first and depending on where in the ram/cache the failure starts, it won’t show up unless the device is under heavy load and tries to use the portion that is damaged.

What I am beginning to think is the issue for many of these routers locking up is the fact that they overheat several times, get returned/RMAed to stores, which then turn around and test it on a bench with minimal testing like a basic internet check and no real stress, then reboxed and sold to the next unsuspecting customer.  This can trash a manufacturers rep as well as cause a lot of waste time/frustration from the users.  While the initial problem is definitely overheating issues, the reason I suspect many of the “off-the-shelf” store replacements also have problems is the re-packaging of slightly damaged units.

Has anyone had a RMA directly from WD that has had issues when they get it?

So after my 200gb file test yesterday, I decided to go for broke and backup my 1.8tb of data from an external attached to my laptop to the 2tb external attached to usb1 port on my N900.  While the files all finished copying and the share is still accessible from all computers, my internet is still up both wired and wifi, and DLNA seems to be working, the WD Dashboard interface has stopped working and the WD Quick View doesn’t show the router as being on my network any more.  So somewhere between last night and now, the high-level UI crashed while all of the underlying functions are still working.  I was tempted to leave the router going to see if the wife, hardlines, or net would drop out at some point today, but since the wife will be home with the kids, I used the power button and cycled the unit off and back on so she would hopefully have internet all day while I am at work.

I am wondering if there is a way to turn on the built-in fan at will. They should add that as an option.

I suppose one can open the case and supply 5V to the fan directly…

While I could do that easy enough, the simple point is I shouldn’t have to for how much this thing cost.  Also, by modding the router in any way you void any warrenties which makes such an effort for what may not be a total fix, a net loss.

A firmware downgrade got the fan spinning again.

HeatProblems wrote:

A firmware downgrade got the fan spinning again.

Downgrade to which version?

Desperate for this 1.03.11 file. Where can I get it?

I got my router less than 10 days ago and I’ve had issues with the wireless turning off for about 3 days. First the 5Ghz, then both. Not sure if it’s shutting down entirely or what. Happens maybe once every 12 hours or so, not sure.

wbennett77 wrote:

Desperate for this 1.03.11 file. Where can I get it?> Try here:

http://download.wdc.com/nas/My_Net_N900_1.03.11.zip

For other versions, if you know the name of the zip file, just try putting it into the URL above.

My issues aren’t as severe. Every few days I lose all connections, as well as the ability to log into the router’s control panel. Restarting the router ‘solves’ the problem temporarily.

I would like to know, why has WD not responded to this problem? Or this thread? Do they monitor it at all?

Now the reason for my question… I work for a large IT retail company. And I would like to know from WD - Why would I recommend this product to my customers, having firsthand problems with it? Especially considering all the available competive products that I can sell?

Interesting dilemma that I have…