MyNet 900

I own the aforementioned router.  The highest connection speed I seem to get is 144Mbps.  Is this odd?  I expected a much faster wireless connection between my router and wireless adapter.  My adapter is an Intel Centrino 1030-N.  I haven’t adjusted any of the default settings, though I’m not sure what they mean anyway.  I have the 2.4 and 5Ghz configured for use.  I use the 5Ghz connection for my Android phones and my MAC airbook.  My Dell (2013 Inspiron 14z), with the above wireless adapter only sees the 2.4Ghz connection, so I am forced to use that.  I have unchecked IPV6, since my Inet provider, Comcast, doesn’t support it.  I have manually configured my DNS servers to OpenDNS, because I have been having lots of DNS issues on my Dell.  For example, my internet connection will drop, producing the yellow exclamation point on my signal speed icon.  When I check my event viewer, I get event ID 1014 saying my name resolution has timed out after none of the DNS servers responded.  This seems to happen whether I use Comcast, OpenDNS or Google DNS servers.  The router I am using now is the second one after I RMA’d the first.  Can anyone tell me what would cause the problem?  I have gone onto Microsofts page and followed the instructions with respect to the registry keys for the event ID.  I am at a loss as to what could be causing this.  Please tell me if I am doing something wrong.  BTW, my Comcast service is 20/5 and I am getting that consistently according to speedtest.net.

I forgot to mention that I am using a new docsis 3.0 modem.  I have checked the stats in the modem and all 4 channels are locked and within spec.

Have you disabled DNS Proxy on the N900 ?

Link to DNS proxy thread

Intel centrino 1030 is a basic two antenna single band wifi adapter.  144 mbps would be right when 20MHz channel width is utilised on 2.4GHz wifi band. 

On the N900, you may wish to try changing the default channel width from 20MHz to ‘20/40MHz (Auto)’ to see if your environment will permit the wifi card and N900 to operate at upto 300 mbps on 2.4GHz band.  You may also wish to read this recent thread on same subject.

Link to 2.4ghz wifi speed thread

1 Like

The DNS proxy was already disabled.  I read though that thread earlier.

The default channel width was already set to 20/40.  I tried toggling between the two with no success.

Your post definitely answered my question about the speed issue.  It appears that I will have to upgrade my wifi card to a dual band.  Would you know if the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 would be compatible with my laptop?

I am still stuck on why I am having a DNS issue however.

When your Dell is experiencing DNS related issues, do you have any problems with your other wireless devices?

Otherwise, the next time you have problems with your Dell, open a CMD box if you are using Windows, and try these two simple commands to verify if it is an internet connection or a DNS resolution issue:

ping 8.8.8.8

ping www.google.com

The first command will test your internet connection to the google server.

The second command will test DNS resolution on your Dell.

Also execute this command on your Dell in a CMD box:

ipconfig /all

Check the DNS server settings correspond to those you have manually configured, listed under the section for your wireless adapter.

If you still conclude the N900 is still suffering connection problems, and turning off Parental Controls and Fastrack QoS makes no difference, some owners have suggested reverting to a previous version of the N900 firmware if you look through past threads posted in this forum.

Regarding replacing the internal wifi card, note that the 14z seems to require a lot of effort to take apart, to be able to reach the intel wlan card.   I can only suggest you enquire on the Dell Community forums to see if anyone has attempted upgrading a 14z to any dual band card and whether there were any issues.  In ‘theory’, it should work. 

Are you using static ip address for your lan devices?  Or are you using DHCP server?

“When your Dell is experiencing DNS related issues, do you have any problems with your other wireless devices?”

Yes, my other HP also has the same issue.  When I get the DNS error and try pinging 8.8.8.8 I get 100% packet loss.  When I ping www.google.com I get the following:   Ping request could not find host www.google.com.  Please check the name and try again.  All is cleared up when I cycle my wireless card off and on again.

I’ve ordered a dual band wireless card and have the capability of installing it myself.

The only hardwired device(s) I have is a switch and my printer which runs off the switch.  DHCP is off on my switch, but is running on the router.

“All is cleared up when I cycle my wireless card off and on again.”

When you have DNS problems again, can you try accessing the N900’s admin page, and pinging the router.

eg.      ping 192.168.1.1

wd818 wrote:

When you have DNS problems again, can you try accessing the N900’s admin page, and pinging the router.

eg.      ping 192.168.1.1

I’ll do that.  If I recall correctly, I get an error (Internal 500?) that requires me to power cycle the router.

Does is matter whether I have NetBIOS enabled or not?