MyCloudEX2Ultra TIme Machine error 13 after firmware update

I have been successfully using Time Machine to backup 3 Macs to a share on MyCloudEX2Ultra for over a year now. On January 15 I updated firmware to the latest version (5.19.117). Since then TIme Machine can’t find its share on the NAS. I have restarted the NAS at least twice, tried disabling/enabling file sharing on the Macs and deleted the TM connection and tried to re-select the TM share on the NAS. When I do that, I put in the proper user and password, then TM gives me an OSStatus error 13 that it can’t find the drive. I can see the NAS and all 4 shares on it, including the TM one using Explorer.
Help?

WD uses buggy SAMBA version which does not support setting size limit. Try to remove TM size limit, and then the backup (after restarting MAC’s) - it should work.

Thanks @andrewtch. I don’t think there is a way to limit share size on this NAS. How about I simply delete the TM share, re-boot then set it up again? Would that have the same effect?

Mark Melcher
mark@melcher.cx (yes, it’s .cx)

Settings > General > Mac Backups > Configure
This should get you there.

Yes, it does. However I can’t turn off the size limit - it’s a slider. I can make it 0 or 4Tb (the ends of the slider bar). Which one, though?

Mark Melcher

Maximum. 4TB

That’s the issue. For TM to work, you have to slide to the maximum. Not ideal, but a bandaid for now, until WD fixes this.

Correction - I can only set the slider to a minimum of 38Gb, no way I can see to set it to 0.

Mark Melcher

Yes, it does. However I can’t turn off the size limit - it’s a slider. I can make it 0 or 4Tb (the ends of the slider bar). Which one, though?

Mark Melcher

Yes - just put the slider to the right and save.

You might have to restart your MAC afterwards. I’m looking for some options and will post later - seems like there is a workaround to limit the size.

2 Likes

Thanks @andrewtch and @JoeTaxpayer. The suggestion worked. That leave 2 questions: is this a known problem or should I report it somehow? Also, because TM can now use the entire NAS capacity, what happens to my other shares? Could they get overwritten as TM expands?

Mark Melcher

1 Like

seems to me this was a OLD problem that was reported fixed then UN-fixed in a later firmware update.

My only reason for testing on the last few Max OS updates was to check the speed to do full backups.
(a full backup can have almost a million small files)

so I have always left size set to 100 % as some of my NAS units had different firmware versions.

Timemachine to ex2Ultra backups do work on both my intel and silicon Mac minis but still a little less easy than just using a WC MyBook external disk on the Mac USB -3 port.

I’ve posted a solution here: Temporary solution to TimeMachine Backup issues (fails after the first backup)

It is a known problem at least I reported it couple times. Backups take full capacity here but as I said iIve posted a bit tricky solution above.

1 Like