The photo share doesn’t have media server on

A photo back up folder has 75,000 files of 200GB

I use windows explorer to delete 1 backup folder

It has now been running 2 days and has only deleted 4000 files

I have done this in the past, and it was much quicker, completed in hours

I probably haven’t done it for about a year

I also tested a deleting a single 250kb file and even that took 2 minutes

Any suggestions to make this quicker?

It would be faster to SSH into the device and delete the files.

@Maestro57 What are the steps you take in File Explorer when you want to delete a folder?

My steps are,

I open File Explorer, select Network>WD My Cloud, open the share the folder or file is in, select it, right click on it and then click on Delete.

Is that the way you do it?

@cat0w - yes that is the steps I do

@Maestro57 I don’t recall ever having to delete a file/folder that large, 200 GB, but a 8-10 GB deletes in seconds.

Deleting a folder full of files will cause the WD Indexers to constantly respawn and re-index.

Turning off Remote Access, Twonky, etc will help… But as rac8006 points out, doing it via SSH will be much faster.

Nice response. I forgot about the indexing.

I’ve been like a week trying to delete a folder and as it seemed it would have passed a month and maybe it won’t be over. I came here, read this thread and the light bulb went on over my head. Went to chrome, signed into mycloud and deleted it on the browser, a one second move and it was gone.It was a 200gb folder full of files. In any case, interacting with the mycloud home over the file explorer always seem to be a long and difficult task. I thought it was going to be easier. Had I known it was going to belike this, I wouldn’t have purchased it

Do you own a WD MY CLOUD WDMyCloudImage or a My Cloud Home? They are different.

I own a Mycloud Home, I see now I was on a Mycloud thread. Sorry! I don’t know if mycloud users have the web interface too, probably yes. Just head there for deleting!

There is a dedicated subfourm for the My Cloud Home:

The My Cloud Home is a completely different device with different features and options along with a different operating system than the My Cloud line has.

@Maestro57 I’m also struggling with a similar problem for years with a my cloud home device, I bought the 8tb one.

The issue I’m having is with moving files to/from folders that contain lot of files. I checked deleting and found that I also have the same issue with deleting and seeing properties of files, but the issues only come up only when the folder containing the file(s) have lot of files in them.

I’ve been wrestling with all of the posts there have been about the slow deletion of files on my 2TB WDMyCloud when using Windows File Explorer. I had even tried using the command line to speed things up - and even that didn’t work!
I was interested in, but afraid of, the SSH commands - but no-one actually told you how to delete files and folders this way - but it lead me to thinking and so I installed Ubuntu, using the VM VirtualBox, mounted my WDMyCloud and used its file explorer to delete the folders. Now, these were large and contained copies of the Windows directories, themselves - over 33GB each - but Ubuntu to the rescue and the task was accomplished in a matter of minutes, rather than the 24hours+ that Windows was offering!
Some food for thought, perhaps?

Brabian

I too am wrestling with the posts and options. I have a WDMyCloud that I’m trying to clean up - delete thousands of tiny files. I upgraded firmware to 5.26.xxx, did NOT connect it to a cloud account, turned off windows indexing. Tried using the menu to force “permanently delete”. Even turned off recycling as one person suggested. Nothing helps.

Tried the ssh route. But when I ssh in I get busybox which doesn’t seem to have useful commands. No “ls”, no “rm”, for example. Here’s what “help” offers.
. : [ [[ alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec
exit export false fg getopts hash help history jobs kill let
local printf pwd read readonly return set shift source test times
trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait

Any advice appreciated.

According to WD the rm command (and certain other Linux commands) should work on OS5 firmware since they specifically reference using the rm command to remove the Plex database in the following WD Knowledge Base article:
My Cloud: Reset the Plex Database
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/6428

One may have to double check their SSH configuration to ensure they can properly access the My Cloud using SSH. The following WD Knowledge Base article has more on how to setup and configure SSH programs to access the My Cloud:
How to Acess WD My Cloud Using SSH (Secure Shell)
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/26497

But therein is the problem. I did enable ssh and I did access MyCloud using SSH. But as you can see from my post it takes me to “busybox” which does not have an “rm” command (in my original post you can see the list of commands it offers from help).

Did you check your SSH client settings and use the settings indicated in the second link above? What SSH client are you using? Are you using a computer or mobile device to access the My Cloud using SSH? What specific My Cloud model are you using? What is the “menu” you used to try and force “permanently delete”? Can you delete the files using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder? If the files are in a Share is that Share set to Public or Private? Have you tried another access method like FTP (enabled through the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings)?

-Yes I am using SSH as described in those links.
-PC, Windows 10. Using the SSH built into that.
-I don’t see a model # on the MyCloud disk; Part # WDBCTL0040HWT-10
-Note that I have upgraded firmware to 5.26.119
-re “permanently delete”: in File explorer use dropdown on “delete” in "organize’ section of home toolbar.
-I can delete files using file explorer but the rate is 0.35 files/second. I have several 100,000 small files to delete so we’re talking weeks.

• The behavior is the same whether the share is public or private.
  • I have disabled cloud access since earlier posts alluded that might be an issue. So I’m changing the settings by going directly to the device.

-I just tried Filezilla, but it times out retrieving the directory:

Command: CWD {snip}
Response: 250 OK. Current directory is {snip}
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,51,217,26)
Command: MLSD
Response: 150 Accepted data connection
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I also tried to do it from filezilla using my mapped drive. But it was painfully slow-probably the same as file explorer.

Do you have the Twonky or Plex app installed? (Check the App tab in the Dashboard to see what apps are installed). It almost sounds like the My Cloud is hung up indexing if its so slow. If Plex and or Twonky is installed try disabling them.

Maybe a 40 second reset would help if you haven’t already tried it. Sometimes a 40 second reset can fix weird issues.

How to Pin Reset and System Only Restore My Cloud OS 5 Devices
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29445

If you have a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud try ejecting it and rebooting the My Cloud. Some additional WD Knowledgebase articles that may or may not be relevant.

My Cloud OS 5: Slow My Cloud OS 5 Dashboard Performance
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29752

My Cloud OS 5: High CPU Usage and Slow Response Times After Update
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29816

My Cloud OS 5: Unresponsive After External USB Drive is Connected
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29817

There are no apps installed.
40 second reset had no effect.
In the last link you list, #5 - the last option - link doesn’t work

If the Dashboard is still slow or having performance issues after the 40 second reset.
Please refer to Answer ID 18499 My Cloud Dashboard Performance After A System Only Restore or 4/40 Second Reset