MyCloud v2.xxxx 4tb Brick after last updated to OS5

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I tried to install Twonky app to use DLNA on my tv (something to which this device was bouhgt).

And all start again. No answer from web browser :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

There is something wrong with apps on MyCloud.
Everything was ok to the moment when i tried to download Twonky app. MyCloud hang, there was no possibility to access via browser and cloud access was failed.

Now even after 4s reset or power off/on i see only window :

Than when i write password (which it shouldnt be because i did 4s reset) i see only white page:

Or i have this error when i type correct password:

@SBrown I having same problem as krycha00 with (cant access dashboard unless doing 40s reset and reset wont reset admin password). Is the anyway else to reset password? (I deleted the wrong password saving on google chrome due to the new redirecting dashboard url)

1 Like

@Ushi hello. Be prepared to throw Your my cloud to the garbage. Iā€™m fighting with my MyCloud from 20.03 (so almost 1 Month) and i dont think it will be possible to ā€œrepairā€ our devices. With my there is no connection even after 40s reset after yesterday update :confused:
Od course WD customer support will tell you that it is normal that MyCloud is working (indexing) all the time and You have to wait, even if there is no connection via dashboard (once i was waiting 7days to finish this ā€œindexingā€ and od course nothing happened, and blue light was still blinking).

@krycha00 I checked your logs and noticed file system errors

[ 47.192026] EXT4-fs error (device sda7): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:756: group 1, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 32612 vs 32627 free clusters
[ 47.226952] JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda7, blocknr = 0). Thereā€™s a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
[ 47.270331] JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda7, blocknr = 0). Thereā€™s a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
[ 72.850990] EXT4-fs error (device sda2): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:756: group 0, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 2878 vs 2877 free clusters
[ 79.564666] EXT4-fs error (device sda4): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:756: group 1, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 32339 vs 32345 free clusters
[ 79.641934] JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda4, blocknr = 0). Thereā€™s a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
[ 79.777378] JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda4, blocknr = 0). Thereā€™s a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.

753: 2021-04-16T12:42:25.116749-07:00 di=RMalJUTMS2 notice kernel: [ 305.125899] EXT4-fs (sda3): error count since last fsck: 2
756: 2021-04-16T12:42:30.246929-07:00 di=RMalJUTMS2 notice kernel: [ 310.255910] EXT4-fs (sda7): error count since last fsck: 583
759: 2021-04-16T12:42:55.873217-07:00 di=RMalJUTMS2 notice kernel: [ 335.855925] EXT4-fs (sda4): error count since last fsck: 1157
762: 2021-04-16T12:43:00.958232-07:00 di=RMalJUTMS2 notice kernel: [ 340.965927] EXT4-fs (sda2): error count since last fsck: 196923

STEPS:

1. Turn OFF Cloud Access and all 3rd party apps and then reboot.
  2. Access the Dashboard and run Scan Disk

My Cloud Scan Disk File System Check and Repair

Answer ID 30057

how about resetting admin password?

I did what You wrote. Now i can see only this screen. Should i wait or log in once again?

Now i see only white page.

When iā€™m trying to log in, i also see only white page. Before this i turned off cloud access and i saw it was disabled, than I reboot but of course it didnt reboot but hang, so i refresh page, but when i logged in once again cloud access was still ON.

Now i cant log in, i see msg unexpected error. Should i reset 4s, 40s, power off/on?

Update: after about one hour of fighting with this ā€œwonderfull deviceā€ i gave up. Everytime is the same after about 1-2 min after resets - system wont respond and hang. Even when is working is impossible to do anything - i canā€™t download log/report because dashboard is frozen. It also frozen when im trying to do scan disc.
Itā€™s really not how i want to spend each afternoon (on hundreds of resets and combinations of MyCloud).

1 Like

@krycha00 well, I dont even get a reply from the staff. From mediocre with os3 to broken with os5. THANK WD. Time to get a SYNOLOGY.

1 Like

This situation should be embarassing for WD. They released firmware which defect our devices, and from weeks they dont know how to solve this problem :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Ps. When device and os5 were working in my case for about 30min, i was surprised how better os5 app on Android is compared to os3. I saw that most mistakes and bugs from os3 were solved in os5.

1 Like

Did you enable analytics when you updated to OS 5?
Have you opened a support case?
Are you able to get to the AdminUI dashboard and collect the system logs and attach to the support case?

In most cases of blinking led, or cannot access the dashboard, the CPU, Memory and Load is high due to Indexing and Generating Previews, however, there could be HDD or file system issues causes the system to not be stable.

how can i collect system logs to open support case if I cant login because reset (4s and 40s) wont reset admin password? It was working fine with os3, so if thereā€™s HDD or file system issues its must because of os5. btw, I got the problem with cant connect to the nas too, just like kryscha00. And before you reply with generic questions / answers, please read the forum. This the common problem with os5, mine is just worst because I deleted the saved admin password on google chrome and cant reset it ā†’ paper weight.

1 Like

There is a new firmware update from 13.4.2021 to download.

I was able to access my device after the 40sec reset for a while. I switched off Cloud access as fast as possible.
After that it was not accessible as usual. With a normal rest (4 sec with power on) I was able to log in again (the IP-Address of the device changed (no longer FIXED IP).
And now I will try to do the firmwareupdate.

I did this update, and right after this everything was working correct, even cloud access (i did copy of all photos and movies from my phone). Than i tried to install Twonky appā€¦ and this was the biggest mistakes because from this pointy there is impossible to access device :confused:

To customer support:
I think my MyCloud is dead after trying to install Twonky appā€¦ What should i do? Resets, power off/on, router change - nothing help. Everytime when i want to log in to dashboard i see white page, attached.

Mine works now as well. But I do not switch on CloudAccess for now and I do not install any apps.
Thank you for this hint.
At least it works now again as pure NAS drive. Nevertheless now I have to create all User Accounts again and to reassigne the rights to the folders. But at least,- all data is still available on the disk.

Small Hint,- that I missed for my self: If you can not access your device on the original IP address,- then better crosscheck again in the router, on which IP the device is now attached. Try to connect on this IP. Mine switched (at least after 40 sec Reset) back to DHCP instead fixed IP and I tried for a few minutes on old address and wondered, why it is again no longer accessible.

Once again:

To customer support:
I think my MyCloud is dead after trying to install Twonky appā€¦ What should i do? Resets, power off/on, router change - nothing help. Everytime when i want to log in to dashboard i see white page.
Should i do something or throw my MyCloud thru the window, because Your update destroyed it :confused: :confused: :confused:

1 Like
  1. Turn off Remote Access
  2. Turn off Twonky and any 3rd party apps
  3. Reboot
  4. Run the file system check and repair.
    If your filesystem still has errors or cannot be repaired, copy all the data off the My Cloud and Full Factory Restore.

My Cloud Scan Disk File System Check and Repair

Answer ID 30057

Out of curiosity. How does one turn off remote access and turn off Twonky and other 3rd party apps when one cannot even access the Dashboard? Note what Krycha00 states in their post of which you quoted the first portion of:

I think my MyCloud is dead after trying to install Twonky appā€¦ What should i do? Resets, power off/on, router change - nothing help. Everytime when i want to log in to dashboard i see white page.
Should i do something or throw my MyCloud thru the window, because Your update destroyed it

@Bennor file system errors, bad sectors on the hdd, high memory and cpu can all be causes of dashboard issues. Iā€™ve already pointed out the file system errors on 04/19 and to run Scan Disk.

If scan disk wasnā€™t ran and Twonky was installed and is now doing is own indexing, then you have increased disk I/O dirty filesystem and high CPU. Canā€™t confirm without ssh access or system logs. Thereā€™s no console access on these devices.