MyCloud v2.xxxx 4tb Brick after last updated to OS5

I have about 2,7tb free from my 4tb MyCloud, and it is normal that there is no possibility to even access or use device for at least 21 days (my device is bricked from 20.03), because blue light is blinking all the time and device is “doing something, maybe indexing”?
Blue light is blinking all the time, device is very hot. It never happened before Your auto upgrade to OS5 which destroyed our devices.

This situation is “great advertisement” for WD and shows how You are treat customers, and i have hope all potential customers will think twice before buy WD device :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Hello, many thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that I should just leave the unit blinking until the whole index is rebuilt? I’ve let it run now about 5 days… I’ve approx 3tb data on storage…

I installed firmware 2.41.116 after the safe mode.

Mine meawhile stopped blinking in blue.
Blue got static burning.
But nevertheless the network interface blinks over hours while the device still was not accessible with the web browser.
Probably something got wrong with registering for the Cloud-Access. The Wizard of the webinterface stuck within and the device was no longer accessible.

So I now reset it with the hardware reset pin, while power on (4 seconds) … and it again starts to blink in blue ;(
I will see,- whether it is now accessible afterwards. Else I will try to do a harder reset,- like described here
https://srscctek.com/myfaq/content/6/99/en/how-to-reset-a-my-cloud-single-bay-device-western-digital-cloud-device.html
Any other ideas ?

Nice to hear that blue light stop blinking for some of us. How long it took for you? For me it’s been on since last Friday and still blinking

I think it took about 3 days or so. I also started last Friday,- but have only arround 1 or 1.5 GB on the disk.
I fear it will result again in same result for me,- because something seems to get wrong while registering for CloudAccess. It is not possible for me to log into OS5 Cloud-Tool. I am still able to log in old Cloud interface.
I fear,- I have to do the hardreset,- which will delete my Users-Setup (and the selected CloudAccess-Option)

Therefore I am asking for other experiences.

Hi krycha,
Don’t know where you live, but if you are living in UK please remember the 2015 Consumer rights act. Trading Standards reminded me of this!
This states under 46. Remedy for damage to device or to other digital content
(1)This section applies if—
(a)a trader supplies digital content to a consumer under a contract,
(b)the digital content causes damage to a device or to other digital content,
(c)the device or digital content that is damaged belongs to the consumer, and
(d)the damage is of a kind that would not have occurred if the trader had exercised reasonable care and skill.
(2)If the consumer requires the trader to provide a remedy under this section, the trader must either—
(a)repair the damage in accordance with subsection (3), or
(b)compensate the consumer for the damage with an appropriate payment.
(2)If the consumer requires the trader to provide a remedy under this section, the trader must either—
(a)repair the damage in accordance with subsection (3), or
(b)compensate the consumer for the damage with an appropriate payment.

If you have been inconvenienced by this (two weeks and counting of indexing) WD only suggestion disable shares, thereby inconveniencing again by not being able to access remotely, escalate for compensation. WD have breached the act by not showing any due care or diligence in the release of this flawed not fit for purpose firmware. They have pushed the CPU to its limits working 24-7 which has increased the temperature in some cases to detrimental limits shortening the lifespan of the product in doing so. Finally by deliberately removing any ability to revert back to a safe position (OS3) they have again breached the Act showing a lack of due care or diligence. I have a device I can no longer use as advertised, cannot revert back to a safe point (WD have deliberately removed telnet access in the latest update). Sorry WD this is not acceptable and against UK law, Have escalated my complaint and if needed will enforce the act to the courts. I suggest everyone here from UK do the same.
Good luck krycha00

3 Likes

Go to dashboard and select network, select SMB1,SMS2, SMB3 and it should work as before.
Mine did

It is a little bit stupid,- that the dahboard is not reachable.The device is such busy, that it does not give access to the dashboard / Web-UI.

1 Like

Hello I assume that you have done the 40 second reset, take the power plug out press the reset then put the power plug back in for 40 seconds or more (60) (it does not delete the contents) also try the firmware update again if you can get to it. One of my drives said update successfull but requesred update again.

All went well after that our tv’s are Panasonic that was epic getting them working as normal.
Regards

@SBrown something strange is happening …
My content was 100% indexed but memory, cpu, and disk noise were still working hard.
I decided to disconnect the power and reconnect it, and after that the dashboard appeared to me for configure mycloud as if I had done a hard reset (40s). After this, I did not get access again. neither the dashboard nor ssh respond.

I just did 40s reset and… nothing happened. Driver is still working, blue light is blinking fast. Still i have no access via web browser. Router reset also didnt help.

What WD is thinking? That we will agree to throw to the garbage our devices, bricked because WD did auto update ??? Really?
Already i dont know how this situation (drive and CPU working all the time from more than 3 weeks) will have influence for drive lifetime (if somehow drive will start working again). :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

40S reset and indexing again… Fuckoff

@EZEQUIEL_FIORELLO 40 sec reset DELETES the existing index.
When you configure the My Cloud again and enable Cloud Access, a new index needs to be created and thumbnails generated for all the shares that have “Mobile and Web Cloud Access” enabled.

You can disable “Mobile and Web Cloud Access” at the Share level for any shares that you do not need remote cloud access to.

Question: when you configured My Cloud after 40 sec reset, did you say YES or NO to analytics?

I said yes now.
But the problem is that my disk, cpu and memory were 100% after having indexed. I turned off my unit and I was never able to access it again. I was forced to do a hard reset.

Very good advices, but when WD will understand that we cant access our devices?

After 40s reset SOMETIMES its possible to access device via web browser, but after about 3-5min connection is lost and we cant access device anymore.
What You did in this firmware that we cant access devices???

1. Saying YES to analytics during setup will allow your device to send analytic (not private) data to Cloud Servers. Link to Privacy Statements

2. Collecting System Logs and proving to support before the device gets in this state.

3. Custom System logs scripts can be ran via SSH would provide more detail

Ad 1. Yesterday when i was able to access drive for about 5min, i saw that i have enabled analytics.

Ad 2. I cant collect system logs - when i click support and try to collect logs nothing’s happening. I tried via web browser on mobile and on PC and its still the same.

@krycha00 sent you a private message requesting the MAC Address from Admin UI dashboard and Product Label.

Something strange happened.
I turned off device to make photo of the label to send customer support, than i turned on drive, and i was able to log in via web browser. Imidiately i get info that new firmware is available. I downloaded it and update. Now it looks its working, but i have no idea what will be later.

!

!

It is still working