MyCloud unreachable (crashes?) when copying files to particular wired PC but not others

I would appreciate your help in trying to troubleshoot this particularly perplexing problem. I have PC1, PC2 (both Win10 1709 with the same updates), and a My Cloud (v04.05.00.327 firmware) all wired to a router.

Copying a large (>200 MB) file via Windows Explorer from My Cloud to PC2 causes My Cloud to completely disappear from the network (ping times out, or “destination unreachable”) after a few seconds. I then need to power cycle My Cloud for it to reappear on the network.

Copying between My Cloud and PC1 is fine, as is copying between PC1 and PC2. Interestingly, copying between My Cloud and PC2 via Wi-Fi is fine.

I have updated the LAN drivers on PC2, disabled energy savings, and disabled jumbo frames on the router and PC2. My Cloud had firmware 04.05.00.315 when the problem arose, but was updated to the current one. The problem persists, and I don’t know what else to try.

The problem appeared after updating PC2 to Windows 10 1709 with the Dec 2017 update. I am considering rolling back the update, but doing so in the past has brought even more problems than it solved. I would at least like to know whether the problem is with PC2 or with My Cloud. I don’t like power cycling My Cloud.

Is there something I should look for in the My Cloud logs to help identify the source of this problem? Thanks in advance.

Hi stevenc80,
Try connecting the PC1 alone on a network and then try once again.
Also, try changing ethernet cables.

1 Like

Thank you, aarishx, for your reply. I used a different router, and connected only PC2 and My Cloud with different cables.

The problem remains.

After power cycling, the My Cloud LED is blinking white and I can hear the HD being accessed. It responds to pings, but its shares are not visible on the network. I believe it is performing a file system check.

I now know that the router, the cables, and PC1 are not the cause. However, I fear that this constant testing and power cycling are putting my data at risk. I have backups, but they would be a pain to retrieve.

I also now know that the My Cloud does indeed crash. Unplugging the network cable should cause the LED to blink. But after the transfer halts, unplugging the cable has no effect.

I would appreciate any other ideas on troubleshooting this issue. Are there logs in My Cloud that might reveal the cause?

Update: Sorry for reviving this thread. Although I’d been avoiding the previously described crashing by using a USB Ethernet adapter, I’ve decided to further investigate and report my findings.

I was able to borrow another Gen1 MyCloud, and a Gen2 MyCloud. The problem happens consistently with Gen1 models, but not at all with Gen2.

Next, I tried using a Linux LiveCD. I could not reproduce the problem.

I decided to perform a fresh install of Windows (I had previously tried in-place installs to fix the issue), and I now can reliably transfer files without crashes. Although I don’t know exactly what caused the problem, I can confirm that a fresh install did solve my problem.