MyCloud Software Failure

Hi All,

My MyCloud is no longer accessible. The desktop application is now too old for MACOS Catalina, and my Finder and Time Machine can no longer log into the disk.

I have attempted to get onto the WD MyCloud home page and while I can see my device and lots of information about it, nothing works.

My MyCloud is set up for no password but it requests a password.

When I click on the firmware box which has the orange exclamation mark, it does nothing.

When I try to access support, it opens an “Updating” dialog which stays for about a minute then disappears and I am taken back to a different web page.

When I try to access the disk via the Finder I get asked for a password that doesn’t exist.

Is it time to move to another brand?

Thanks

Foggy

The My Cloud Desktop app/software has been End of Life since 2016. Recent firmware updates (beginning last year) had broken that software. WD even has a knowledgebase article on this issue.

My Cloud Desktop App No Longer Works with a My Cloud or Login Not Authorized
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25159

For remote access one is supposed to use; MyCloud.com, the WD My Cloud app for Android or iOS, or the insecure FTP option.

For local network access to the My Cloud one can use; Windows File Explorer, Mac Finder, the WD My Cloud app for Android or iOS, or a file manager app for Android or iOS.

One configures the various options, including remote access by using the My Cloud Dashboard.

How to access the Dashboard on a My Cloud (single bay) device

If one cannot access the Dashboard at all then try turning off the My Cloud, waiting five minutes or so, and turning it back on. Then once one has a solid blue LED on the front of the unit try to access the My Cloud Dashboard.

When in doubt one can always perform a 4 second or 40 second reset via the reset button on the back of the My Cloud enclosure. Each reset method will reset to default several My Cloud options including the administrator password.

How to Reset a My Cloud (single bay) Device

The 4 Second Reset will reset the following:

• Admin Password (No password by default)
  • Network Mode (Default = DHCP )

The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:

• Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
  • Admin Password (No password by default)
  • Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)
  • SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 04.xx.xx-xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” and “welc0me”)
  • SSH (Secure Shell) on Firmware 2.xx.xxx, User Name and Password (default = “root” no default password, new password enforced)
  • Remove all Users except Admin
  • All Share permissions (default = Public)
  • Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
  • Network Mode (default = DHCP)
  • Remove all Alerts
  • mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
  • Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
  • WD Sync association (default = not configured)
  • Backup jobs (default = not configured)
  • Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)