Mycloud single bay doesn't support remote backup

Hello,

Recently I bought 2 Western Digital Single bay My Cloud. One to store my local backups and a second one to make a copy of the first cloud storage to the second one so I could keep a backup out site my home.
This is what I did also with a previous edition (MyBook live).
WD says now to me that only the new single bay storage doesn’t support external backup-ups even when an icon is build in to create a remote storage. All other my cloud storages does support the remote backup. The version I bought is firmware 2.xx.xx. The previous firmware version 4.xx.xx does support a remote backup.

WD wouldn’t help me to solve this issue so does any one know a solution how to fix this? Otherwise I want to warn other customers about this lack of functionality of this my cloud edition.

Kind regards,

Richard Meijn

It was reported recently (see post below) that to backup a v2.x single bay My Cloud to another My Cloud one has to use use a My Cloud Mirror or better multi bay model that has the Remote Server option available. Stupid since one can backup a older gen v4.x firmware My Cloud to another older v4.x My Cloud, but that’s what is now being indicated.
https://community.wd.com/t/how-to-create-a-backup-from-wdmycloud-storage/181340/2

See the following WD Support document:
http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13854
From that support document:

My Cloud devices that support the Remote Server feature are listed below:
My Cloud Mirror
My Cloud Mirror (Gen 2)
My Cloud EX2
My Cloud EX2 Ultra
My Cloud EX4
My Cloud EX2100
My Cloud EX4100
My Cloud DL2100
My Cloud DL4100

Check the settings of the backup in the v2.x single bay My Cloud Dashboard to see if you can backup to another location on the local network, if so then you could backup to another location on the local network. Otherwise to backup to a remote location one may have to look into using Rsync or similar using SSH. Do a subforum search for Rsync for other discussions on using that unsupported backup/sync option to backup a My Cloud.

I’m confused by what both of y’all are saying.

The My Book Live never supported remote backups, nor did the single-bay My Cloud – of any revision.

See the WD support link posted in my post. It states one can create a remote backup (edit: if using a single bay v2.x My Cloud) to another NON single bay My Cloud provided that My Cloud unit has the Remote Server feature. Further the v2.x single bay My Cloud User Manual (http://products.wdc.com/library/UM/ENG/4779-705147.pdf) states on page 72 & 73 that Remote Backup is an option and explains how to set it up. There are even two Dashboard screen images shown on those pages. The User Manual (unless I missed it) DOES NOT mention needing a My Cloud Mirror or higher/better unit as the remote server.

Obviously this “feature” in the single bay v.2x firmware is not well explained by WD, the My Cloud Dashboard interface, or the product documentation since this is the second or third time such a question has been asked.

The older v4.x version firmware on the first gen single bay My Cloud units do not support remote backup, only local LAN backup.

Of course, we’re assuming the User Manuals reflect reality. The sad fact is that, in a number of areas, they simply do not.

Yes there are numerous errors in the v2.x user manual (at least the English version). But in this instance there is a WD Support document to backup the fact that there is apparently a remote backup option on the single bay My Cloud units running v2.x firmware. And from what I remember there was at least one prior thread (which I’m not finding in a quick search) where this issue of not being able to backup from one v2.x single bay My Cloud to another v2.x single bay My Cloud was mentioned. And if I remember right that person indicated the Backup page on the Dashboard indicates “NAS Server” (or something like that) when that user selected Remote Backup.

I just bought a 6TByte single drive NAS with the intention of setting it up as an offsite backup for my 6TByte Dual bay NAS but am mortified that the new single drive unit won’t allow me to set up a backup from the dual bay system.
As an offsite backup I don’t need disk mirroring - just a straight back up from that dual bay WD MyCloud mirror drive and an older seagate NAS that is now full.

Unless anyone knows how to set up the single bay to allow network backups this is a complete and utter waste of time and money - WD : Not impressed! Seriously not impressed.

Hallo Redline1,

I understand your frustration,
I started this issue and I hope this thread is going bigger and bigger. We don’t need a mirror on our drive. Just a backup to store out site our home.
WD thinks about making more provide to sell more mirrored cloud systems but this is not what a consumer wants. Just make a backup of the computers in site the home and store a second backp out-site.
So make something consumers wants.
The solution is simple. Just add the software you have already created in other storage devices in the single bay cloud edition again.
It is also standing in the manuals that you can make a storage backup. Why doesn’t work properly?

I hope WD is listening and if not I hope this issue is pointed in Facebook or other media to spread over the internet.
WD wake-up and do something.

Kind regards,

Richard Meijn

When I purchased my single bay mycloud, I was led to believe that I could do offsite backups. That was the main reason for purchasing.
Now I’m being told this will not work and I should purchase one of the pro models.
I don’t want to spend hundreds of more dollars for an 8tb unit when I only need to backup approx 11gb of files.

This is crazy.

I still have the same feelings about the product. I feel very disappointed in WD.
I also have constantly the feeling how could I scream to the world and warn them about this lack of the product.

In My opinion it is a little change in the firmware to add this little peas of software lack of backing up the WD storage.

This storage is still sold to people who doesn’t know about this lack but after a time they will be aware of missing this opportunity to backup this storage.
How could we worn other people about this missing possibility to backup the storage?

Kind regards,

Richard Meijn

Check this post for solution on how to backup single bay mycloud to another single bay mycloud

Hi Batuhanu,

I looked at the settings page but I couldn’t find anything to remove the visible option. Could yo describe the solution more closely?
The picture you enclosed doesn’t help me aether. (sorry)

Kind regards,

Richard Meijn

Hi Richard,

1. Login to Mycloud admin console
  2. Click on settings tab
  3. On chrome use ctrl+shift+I shortcut to open developer tools.
  4. Go through (or search for rserver_div )
  5. Remove the display:none text from the line, just delete it.
  6. Close the developer tools ( you may skip this step)
  7. Check the UI again, you will see “remote server” switch button.
  8. Enable it and connect from the WD Mycloud drive that you want to backup.

I hope it helps, let me know if you would need further instructions.

Hi Batuhanu,

Thanks for yuor explenation but I think that I have an other version of the WDMy cloud edition.
I couldn’t find the toppics you mentioned. See the attached screen shot

Kind regards,

Richard Meijn

sorry @Richard_Meijn my bad. Check step 2.1

1. Login to Mycloud admin console
  2. Click on settings tab
    2.1 Open Network tab on the left
  3. On chrome use ctrl+shift+I shortcut to open developer tools.
  4. Go through (or search for rserver_div )
  5. Remove the display:none text from the line, just delete it.
  6. Close the developer tools ( you may skip this step)
  7. Check the UI again, you will see “remote server” switch button.
  8. Enable it and connect from the WD Mycloud drive that you want to backup.

Doesn’t this essentially count as false advertising? Are there any possibly legal actions?

What counts as false advertising? Where has it been explicitly stated in the marketing materials that the single bay My Cloud can be backup to a remote single bay My Cloud? The first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud does have backup to another first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud capability. The second generation v2.x single bay My Cloud does not.

WD states in the link provided previously that the single bay My Cloud units do not support backing up to another single bay My Cloud.

Unofficially it may be possible, using SSH/scripts/CRON/Rsync, to backup a single bay My Cloud to a remote single bay My Cloud. There has been discussion on attempting this that can be found using the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right).

It explicitly states in the manuals and when it was released that it was possible to do this, now that story has changed. It still states in the manual for this single unit that it’s possible to make a remote backup. I would call that false advertising.

The story hasn’t changed. The second generation single bay My Cloud (AFAIK) never had the option to backup to a remote location second gen v2.x single bay My Cloud. The v2.x single bay user manual has a number of errors and this is one of them. The other major error in the v2.x single bay My Cloud user manual is the claim there is a shutdown option in the Dashboard when there isn’t (officially) one.

Does the marketing materials (not the user manual) for the single bay My Cloud state the capability to backup to another remote single bay My Cloud? If not then one most likely won’t be able to sue for “false advertising”.

Technically, at least according to WD one CAN remotely backup a single bay v2.x My Cloud, it is just that remote My Cloud must be a multi bay My Cloud that supports remote backup.

Single-bay My Cloud devices running firmware version 2.xx.xxx can be configured for remote backup to the following My Cloud devices that includes the Remote Server feature under Setting - Network.

My Cloud Safepoint and Remote Backup Compatibility Matrix:

It is stupid that WD removed the capability to backup to a similar second gen single bay My Cloud in the v2.x firmware when the earlier first gen v4.x versions had it, but that’s what they’ve done. Not sure that constitutes a winnable false advertising claim however.

As the manual clearly states and then gives clear instructions on how to do it; “You can create a complete backup or snapshot of your My Cloud device and save it to an another server on or outside your home network, to a USB drive attached to the USB expansion port, or to another storage location within your My Cloud system.” This is absolutely false advertising especially since their own website and documentation says that was possible, then was apparently removed with a software update so they could sell more expensive models.