I uninstalled the app, then re-installed. After going through the login setup, it took me to a screen that said there was a firmware update available. At the bottom of the screen was a button that said “Update Firmware”, and under that was the word “Skip”, directly on top of the “Home” button. I tried to press “Skip”, but it went to my tablet’s home screen. I went back to the MyCloud app and tried pressing “Skip” again, was again sent to my homescreen, and tried again and again a bunch of times in quick succession before giving up.
I then tried to access the MyCloud from my Windows machine and got an error saying the network path didn’t exist! While trying to straighten that out, I got an email from the MyCloud saying that a firmware update had begun! After a few minutes of terror, fearing that it would brick, it finally came back online with the new firmware and seems to be OK. The Android app can now see the shares, and the share name shows as “TV” as it should. However, Windows Explorer still shows it as “tv”.
I opened an ssh shell using PuTTY, and the history showed some apt-get commands that I never entered, which I presume has something to do with the firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, all of my bash history is gone, including some command lines I had figured out to do various tasks, which I will now have to figure out again!