MyCloud remote access using Linksys router

System logs submitted to case - thanks

Incident #: 210713-000188

System log file added.

I’ve a Linksys router too and everything works fine.
Did you forward only the internal ports (80 and 443)? I have forwarded also external ports 8080 and 8443

Hi Mauriga

Yes I’ve forwarded both 80 and 443 to 80 and 433 and on other occasions to 9080 and 9433. In both cases I got a port forwarding connection established but still could not access remotely.

What Linksys router model are you using?

I’ve an EA6900.
What I mean, I think you can try to forward 4 ports (8080, 80 and 8443, 443).
See my screenshot

Hi Mauriga

I have a Linksys Velop WHW0301. I have done something very similar…

and have also tried routing 8080 and 8433 to 80 and 433 respectively. In both cases the MyCloud device is happy and connects to the internet using a port forwading connection BUT I can’t access it remotely.

When you say “tried routing 8080 and 8433 to 80 and 433 respectively” do you mean exactly as appear in my screenshot?
Did you reboot the router after the changes?

mau——

Yes… in my screenshot the “External Port” column would have read 8080 and 8433 and the “Internal Port” 80 and 433. And yes I’ve rebooted the lot many times. As I say the MyCloud devices is happy and reports that it is connected to the internet.

Sorry for my bad English, plus consider I’m just a newbie, but your screenshot is very different than mine.
Also the port protocol is different: I don’t set “both”, but only “TCP”.

mau——

Mauriga

Just tried TCP/IP only:

Rebooted router and MyCloud. Deleted connection from phone to MyCloud and reconnected using code generated by device. MyCloud “Access Status: Connection Status: Connected, Port forwarding connection established” but still can’t connect from mobile over internet (WiFi fine).

I will await WD support to report back.

Thanks

Why 6443??? It must be 8443!!!
Also, you said “I have reserved a specific IP address for MyCloud”, did you have set that both on router and NAS?

mau——

Thanks - I’ve changed it to 8443 ( don’t think it reall matters) and no difference.

Did you set the WD like this?

No it does not have to be 8443. It can be any unused external port value. Most simply use external port values of 8080 and 4443 or 8443 simply out of habit. The whole point is to use alternate external ports that one’s broadband provider is not blocking.

Here is another example of how to manually setup port forwarding on a OS3 (v4.x used in the example) My Cloud.

Screenshot show current set up (with below first on confirmation of port forward connection)

Remote mobile access still fails. Thanks for efforts. Hopefully WD can come to the rescue!

Good luck!

mau——

Someone had luck with this?
Could you fix the problem?
Could we have a direct connection to WD support? I try by chat but the operator i’ve chatted too was not skilled to fix the problem.
We need someone that knows the problem and can fix it.
Please WD help us.

I received e-mail from WD support, bit it was full with typical reccomendations like: “restart your router”, “restart your WD device” etc…
After I sent them detailed list what I have checked, and what exactly is not working I still do not have reply.
WD are fully aware that the problem is not in our devices or routers, but in their system.
Probably their support is located in some basement in India and they just do not care.

I too got a smilar message…

But here is the strange thing… I left all alone for a few days. Made no further changes, but in an idle moment wile away from home tried to access the drive remotely using the IOS app - and it worked! It has continued to work. No idea why it suddenly sprang to life.