MyCloud performance is very poor. Also never stops scanning

Re: 3 TB MyCloud Firmware vv04.04.02-105
I bought this MyCloud to replace a WD Netcenter that died after many, many years of flawless and convenient service as a storage device on my home network. The MyCloud is clearly an inferior product for this function. Here’s just two of my problems:

1. Even though the device is only 1/3 full, a few weeks ago the unit entered a state where it never stops scanning, even after a reset (using the rear panel button).
    Update: Twenty minutes or so after the back-panel reset, the dashboard says “Error” in the Content Scan box. Is that just because of the reset?

2. Ever since purchasing it about 4 months ago, accessing the dashboard is very, very slow. Currently it takes about 3 minutes to load.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do?

Update: It took almost 30 minutes after the reset, but the scanning finally stopped and the dashboard is more responsive. Does anyone know how it gets into this state? I’ve had it on continuously for months (it’s on a UPS) but this just seemed to start happening on its own.

Are you using the drive with a static ip or dinamic? Also, you can try using a different browser to see if the dashboard load time improves.

I am using a static IP and having the same issue. Everytime a file is added it scans the whole drive for changes. This is also causing the drive to be not reachable via wifi for streaming or even dir listing it so lagged out. Many reboots and the problem remains the same. The dashboard reminds me of dial up (yes its that slow) I am on local lan and only getting 6MBit throughput to mycloud aswell. Twonky is spitting out upnp errors saying lost host etc…

What color are the LED’s on the back of the My Cloud? What router do you have and what color is the LED for your My Cloud connection to it. Is your computer connected by cable or wifi? If wifi do you have 802.11n, 802.11ac or what?

The more info you provide the more people here have to work with and help you out.

cat0w
USA

I would look into minidlna. It does not scan the disk every time a file is added.

RAC

DIR 810 Router (802.11AC)
LEDS= Operational on the back
Blue on the front.
Connected Via Wifi 802.11n 150MBit supported connection.

That is one option, another would be to change the Twonky “Rescan Interval” time in the Twonky administration screen (http://WDMyCloud:9000) and kill the two services that scan to create thumbnails via SSH.

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop