MyCloud Needs Improvement

I have a 3TB MyBook Live and have been happy with it.  I was looking to expland and saw the MyCloud offered the ability to add an additional USB 3.0 hard drive, so I took the plunge and bought a 6TB MyCloud and an external USB hard drive to attach to it.  The moment I got it setup, the disappointment set in.

The interface on MyCloud is a definite step backwards from the MyBook Live interface.  For example, it shows how many cloud devices you have, but can I see what the devices are?  No. 

I can see that I have an external hard drive connected, but can I do anything with it?  Again, no.  This to me is a HUGE fail.  Why even bother adding the feature if you’re going to make it useless.  Why does the capacity only show for the main drive instead of a combines total of the 2 drives? 

There are so many missed opportunities and to be honest, it really seems lazy on the part of Western Digital.  It makes you wonder if they take 15 minutes, throw together an interface and call it a day.  No testing, no asking users what is missing and how can we improve it…nope. 

Yes, it works.  The drive works and such, but at the same time it doesn’t and fails…and fails hard.  How is it, i can’t even tell that a second drive is connected to the MyCloud in Windows?  I can’t mangage folders, add folders, etc.  It makes zero sense to add the feature and make it to to the point that it isn’t usable. 

This was just plain lazy and hopefully Western Digital improves the interface substantially, or asks actual users for advice on how to improve it.  As for me, I will seriously question any further WD purchases. 

LooneyBrunes wrote:

The interface on MyCloud is a definite step backwards from the MyBook Live interface.  For example, it shows how many cloud devices you have, but can I see what the devices are?  No.  

Sure you can.

Select Cloud Access, then a user, and it shows the inventory of devices – just like the MBL.

LooneyBrunes wrote:

I can see that I have an external hard drive connected, but can I do anything with it?  Again, no. 

What do you mean you can’t do anything with it?   It’s storage.   It’s its own share – do with it pretty much whatever you want.

LooneyBrunes wrote:

Why even bother adding the feature if you’re going to make it useless.  Why does the capacity only show for the main drive instead of a combines total of the 2 drives? 

It’s far from useless.  Again, it’s additional NAS storage for non-NAS USB devices.  You can safepoint to it, you can read / write to it, etc…  just like any other part of the NAS.   The capacity doesn’t combine the two because they’re not combined.   If the primary storage fills up, it’s not going to span over to the other.  So combining the two as a total would be meaningless.

If you want to know how much space is on it, just look at the share from your PC.

LooneyBrunes wrote:

There are so many missed opportunities and to be honest, it really seems lazy on the part of Western Digital.  It makes you wonder if they take 15 minutes, throw together an interface and call it a day.  No testing, no asking users what is missing and how can we improve it…nope.  

You’re making statements with no knowledge of facts – This whole forum is full of suggestions, a number of which have been added – and you’re also under the false presumption that the drive wasn’t extensively beta tested?  You’re comparing this to the MBL and saying it’s worse?   I don’t see how you can claim that – this drive is an improvement over the My Book Live in every way.

LooneyBrunes wrote:

How is it, i can’t even tell that a second drive is connected to the MyCloud in Windows?  I can’t mangage folders, add folders, etc.  It makes zero sense to add the feature and make it to to the point that it isn’t usable. 

My only guess is because you don’t know what you’re doing…  Both the GUI and the Windows Dashboard will tell you that, as well as the Windows OS itself when you look under the network section of Explorer – all external drives will show as discrete shares.

What do you mean you can’t add folders?  There’s no problem at all adding as many folders as you want.