MyCloud NAS 4TB Freezes and Not Accessible with Windows 10 (AGAIN)

Hi everyone, could use some help here.

Storage Device:

• WD MyCloud NAS 4 Tb
  • Firmware OS5 Version: 5.15.106 (most current)
  • Fixed IP Address
  • SMB2 and SMB3
  • NTLMv2 Only

Computer:

• Windows 10
  • Version: 20H2

iPhone:

• iPhone 10X
  • iOS Version 14.6

LAN/WAN Network:

• Comcast Xfinity
  • 450 Mbps Connection

Here is the problem… Back in May of this year I posted because I had just updated to OS5 from OS3, there were many issues. Primary problem was I would do a power reset/recycle, the unit would come back alive for anywhere from 2 minutes to as long as 2 hours. Was also having issues with accessing files from mapped drive connection from my Windows 10 laptop. Please note that both my WD MyCloud device and my laptop are hard-wire connected to my local network. I was also not able to connect to the device after it went to sleep (or whatever it did to not allow access without doing a power restart) from my iPhone. From my research, I have performed all the usual suggested activities:

- Added credential under Windows Credentials
- Added the “AllowInsecureGuestAuth” registry item for “LanmanWorkstation”
- Did the Network reset and reconfigured the connections
- etc…

After all that, I was able to map and access my device and use it mapped through Windows. About a week ago now, suddenly, the same problems are back again. No changes to the Device (other than the most recent OS5 update, however that was back last month, and was working fine after that. No changes on the laptop other than the standard Microsoft updates. No changes to the iPhone, other than the standard updates to the iOS.

Any thoughts/suggestions? This is problematic as I need to have regular access to those files. Thanks in advance for any support you can provide.

@cemaynard
There is a sub-forum for your device and OS5 in the WD Community.

Note this is the OS3 subforum (v4.x and v2.x firmware), there is a subforum for OS5 devices running the v5.x firmware.

OS5 My Cloud
https://community.wd.com/c/os5/my-cloud-os5/257

From the sounds of it, you may be experiencing the dredded “indexing” issue that has crippled certain My Cloud units (like the single bay second gen My Cloud units). Many complaints about units becoming inaccessable both locally and remotely once updating to OS5. Search through the OS5 subforums for MUCH more information.

Current workarounds are to disable remote access in the My Cloud Dashboard, this assumes one can even reach the My Cloud Dashboard. Or just leave the unit alone while it spends hours to days indexing.

My Cloud OS 5 Cloud Access Content Indexing FAQ
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30021

My Cloud OS 5: How To Disable and Enable My Cloud Indexing and Media Services
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29819

One can search the WD Knowledge Base (see the Knowledge Base link top of page) for more Knowledge Base articles on the indexing issue/problem.

Thank you. I have moved this thread to the proper Community page.

might want to find a different nas unit as there are security issues with WD’s offerings