myCloud Local Network Access Questions

Hello Experts!

I am going to boot my WD myCloud to the curb and replace it with a Synology NAS as are many of you, however, I would like to still retrieve the information on the WD device. I admit I’m a bit confused by the stock company answer to this question:

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

This answer seems to suggest the the OS 3 mobile app will no longer work, but others on this forum have said they believe that as long as one uses wi-fi on the same local network as the myCloud device the mobile app will still work. What gives?

Also, I guess I’m confused by “local network” as if we are to unplug the device from the internet, how does one access the device through their local network?

Finally, if the device is completely removed from the internet, is the only way to see the information on the drive to plug the ethernet cable from the myCloud directly into a computer and access it through file explorer in windows or the finder in mac?

I have about 25 GB of photos on this device that I would just like to simply copy over to another drive and threw this thing in the trash.

Thank you for any tips you all may have!

WD appears to indicate (at least twice) on the My Cloud OS3 End of Service page that the My Cloud OS3 mobile app will no longer be able to access one’s My Cloud when WD shuts down OS3 support. Only way we OS3 My Cloud users will know for certain is when the shutoff happens and if the mobile app can no longer access a local network My Cloud.

Where is WD telling you to unplug the device from the Internet/broadband? What they say is to “disconnect” the My Cloud from the internet. Generally they mean users should block internet/broadband access to their My Cloud. Depending on one’s network router capabilities one may be able to configure the router to block all internet access to and from the My Cloud. Check with your router manufacturer and or the router’s administration page to see what features and options the router has and if it can block internet access to a specific local network client/device.

No. Generally you would plug the My Cloud into the local router so all devices on your local network can access the My Cloud. You can directly connect the My Cloud to a computer using an Ethernet port on the computer if you wish but that will limit access to the My Cloud to just the one single computer it’s connected too (without additional configuration on the computer). Again consult the router information to see if it can be configured to block internet access to a specific device (the My Cloud).

Then just copy that data off the My Cloud to another storage device (hard drive, flash drive, other storage medium). Use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to drag and drop/copy and paste to copy the data to another location or storage device.

@jimfi

Here is what I have done with my first generation My Cloud. I still backup my important files to it.
WDMYCLOUD 1st Generation now on my Network only - My Cloud OS 3 Personal Cloud Storage / My Cloud - WD Community

I do have a second generation My Cloud on OS5 that I can use online. It also has my backups saved on it.

how do i acess WD home cloud locally? some how my account got disabled and now i can acess my files

The My Cloud Home is a completely different device than the My Cloud line of devices. There is a dedicated subforum for the My Cloud Home line of devices where users more familiar with that device may be able to assist with your issue.

My Cloud Home
https://community.wd.com/c/home-cloud-storage/228

See the following WD Knowledge Base link for additional support articles related to the My Cloud Home.

My Cloud Home Online User Guide and Solutions
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21182

On my iPad, MyCloud OS3 stopped working this week. This is how I fixed it.

• To view/play media files, VLC. Access from the network tab
  • To manage and view files, free FTPManager has the functionality of the old MyCloud OS 3 app, is more stable, and a better UI
  • Use safari to open admin interface. You need to know the IP address for the NAS.

On laptop, VLC works from the Universal PnP browser.

If you need more details, just ask.