MyCloud Home and OneDrive - does it work?

I have been trying to get a definitive answer whether I can set a folder(s) on MyCloud Home to automatically sync with OneDrive - even with the PC turned off. The product overview mentions Dropbox, Google Drive and others but not OneDrive. Same in the manual. My previous NAS used to do this but Microsoft stopped using the deprecated SMB1 so that device stopped working. The manufacturer gave no support.

I’m told (after having to ask twice) that the current MyCloud Home can be setup to do this with WD Discovery but I can’t find any instructions as to how so I don’t yet believe it.

Can anybody confirm whether or not this can be done and if so, how? Thanks.

1 Like

@MJL_WDComm I don’t own a My Cloud Home, I have two WD MY CLOUDS, I use Windows 10 with all current updates. SMB1 is available, it’s up to you if you want to use it. I do. See topic in sub-forum for a WD MY CLOUD.

Thanks for your reply. I went round that loop several times when my Seagate Personal Cloud stopped working (less than a year out of purchase) because MS disabled SMB1. This is a security risk and:

In Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 (RS3) and later versions, the Server Message Block version 1 (SMBv1) network protocol is no longer installed by default. It was superseded by SMBv2 and later protocols starting in 2007. Microsoft publicly deprecated the SMBv1 protocol in 2014.

Detail here Microsoft from Jun 2019

I have no interest in re-enabling a security risk deprecated since 2014 and WD should be better at security.

I asked this specific question of WD Support and was told:

Please be informed that there is no SMB1 involved in this process, as everything will be done from our software, WD Discovery .

And when I asked for instructions, I was given a link to a 1-time import (not the continual auto-sync that used to be offered). I queried that and was told:

We do apologize for any inconvenience, however the specific services are not directly via Western Digital, even though the specific features are available with our products.

Huh? Again, in English, please.

As a result, for any additional information, we would recommend contacting directly the developer of the application or service you wish to use, such as Dropbox Support and OneDrive Support.

That’s interesting especially given that Microsoft say:

To work around this issue, contact the manufacturer of the product that supports only SMBv1, and request a software or firmware update that support SMBv2.02 or a later version

There are also various part-refs in WD documentation which mentions OneDrive but there are no clear instructions.

My guess is that WD know full well that the feature for auto sync of My Cloud Home no longer works with OneDrive, they don’t want to develop a secure method SMB 2 or 3, don’t want to admit it and have told their support and documentation people to obfuscate. I find this contemptuous and misleading. If they’d given a straight answer such as “doesn’t work anymore and we’re not going to develop SMB2 for this product” at least I would have felt they were trustworthy and been prepared to buy something from them later. Probably not, now.

2 Likes

Can anyone pinpoint when the autosync feature stopped working? My MyCloudHome had been working just fine. Then just the other day I looked, and it appeared that my OneDrive data had stopped syncing in October. I’ve mucked about for a couple days, and am now not sure what’s going on. I’ve started a (apparently) one-time import from ONeDrive, but suspect that’s not really going to sync.

The sync feature that I started seems to have gotten hung up at 1,000 items sometime yesterday, and looks stopped.

If understand your question correctly, you would like to know if you can still sync onedrive with your mycloud home device. From this link, WD seems to have ended onedrive sync ability in 2022.
This is the source link:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/34277/~/my-cloud-home%3A-3rd-party-app-onedrive-cloud-import-for-my-cloud-home-end-of