MyCloud EX4 16T Raid5 - all 4 drives failed at once

I have a 6 year old EX4 16TB MyCloud that’s RAID5. It’s performed fine up until a couple of weeks go. We had a lightning storm and even though it was on a decent surge protector, I got drive errors on all 4 drives when I rebooted it a couple of days later. I think it was the storm that killed it.

It seems to boot normally - blue flickering power, then the drives startup one at a time and flicker for a few seconds. Next the drive lights slow flash for a second or so one at a time in sequence, then return to the quick flickering. After about two minutes the fan briefly runs, then I immediately get a red power led, the name shows up briefly on the display, then one at a time all the drive lights go red.

Cycling through the menu, it shows the cloud, Version 2.12.127, temp, fan speed, then Drive Status shows Fault, Capacity: 0MB Free, then Drive Failed in Bay 1,2,3,4. I find it difficult to believe all the drives failed at once. And my suspicion is that its the main board. I have not tried to access the drives separately outside of the MyCloud. I don’t ever recall the OS and aside from updating the firmware through the web control panel I don’t recall installing or updating an OS at all.

My question is - could I by another empty EX4 drive bay (from ebay) and just load the drives into it? Would that work to get it back up and running? Without resetting the drives?

Or could I buy an EX4100 and do the same thing without having to rebuild all the drives? This was my backup solution and storage for some data where I don’t have a backup. I’d really like to get the 6-7TB of data I had on the MyCloud back if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi @jeqq23,

Please refer below link to help you with trouble shooting steps:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/utils/login_form

Just a follow-up, if anyone ever sees this issue. The solution was to buy a used enclosure from ebay and load the original drives in there. I booted the new enclosure and logged into the device’s new IP. It made me update the admin user password and then I got a message that the controller was using a Roaming RAID volume and did I want to attach it. It confirmed that and all my data was still in place.

As a safeguard I’ve copied all my important data over to an external drive, but after 3 days uptime, I see no real issues. I’ll probably be using this as an internal network backup now that support for OS3 is going away and it doesn’t seem like this can be updated to OS5.

It’s possible that all 4 drives could have been bricked at the same time with a power surge, but unlikely. That would point to an issue with the NAS itself. Glad you were able to salvage the data. Might be time to back up all that data, buy a new (current) enclosure, and transfer the drives to it for long term backup.