MyCloud EX2 Ultra and RAID 1 Question

I’m using a MyCloud EX2 Ultra as a Time Machine backup for my MacBook Pro (M1 running OS 13.1). The initial configuration of the EX2 had two 2-TB drives in it; since my main HDD is 4 TB, this was going to be a problem - and it was. I’ve replaced the original drives with two Seagate BarraCuda drives (8 TB each). After I installed them, I set the system to run in RAID 1. When that happened, the system tells me that I’m writing to Volume_1 (Drive 1,2). The initial backup went fine, but the Disk Status shows that Drive 2 is bad and the light for Drive 2 is red. Is this because the drive is really bad, or is this because I have the device running in RAID 1?

I don’t think you have a bad HDD.
Just the wrong order of doing thing in both going to RAID 1 and increase the HDD’s to 8 TB.

When you change back to Just A Bunch of Disk (JBOD) what happens?

Did the red light stop flashing about 12 hours to 24 hours after you changed to RAID 1?
i.e. After each drive is mirrored to the other drive?

If you still believe the one of the 8 TB’s are broken…
Suggest you take out one 8Tb drives at a time, leaving the other drive in the EX2.
Put the one extracted 8Tb in external HDD housing, “chkdsk <drive letter of the 8Tb>: /r /x” and/or “format”. You will soon know if one of them is in error.

Did you replace both of the 2 Tb HDD’s at the same time. That is take out the both 2Tb drive and put in both 8Tb drives?

a)
Try going back to the JBOD with the 2 TB’s.
b)
Switch to RAID 1. - Wait hours for the EX2 to do it’s thing.
c)
Swap out only one of the 2 Tb for a 8 Tb, - Wait hours for the EX2 to do it’s thing.
d)
Swap out the other 2 Tb for a 8 Tb, - Wait hours for the EX2 to do it’s thing.

It’s possible that the drive is actually bad, but it’s also possible that there is an issue with the RAID 1 configuration. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Swap the drives: If the disk status utility indicates that the drive is good, try swapping the drives and see if the error follows the drive or stays with the bay. This will help you determine if the issue is with the drive or the bay.

If you still believe the one of the 8 TB’s are broken…
Suggest you take out one 8Tb drives at a time, leaving the other drive in the EX2.
Put the one extracted 8Tb in external HDD housing, “chkdsk <drive letter of the 8Tb>: /r /x” and/or “format”. You will soon know if one of them is in error.

1. Rebuild RAID: If the drive is good and the issue is with the RAID configuration, try rebuilding the RAID array from scratch. This can be a time-consuming process and requires you to back up all of your data before proceeding.

You can also check the below blog to know how to rebuild the RAID array without losing the data.
https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/rebuild-raid-array-without-losing-data/