Mycloud EX2 disconnecting from network on latest firmware (1.05.36)

I’ve read the threads about the 2014 “fix” to the Mycloud disconnecting from the network. However, it seems that either the issue is back with the 2015 firmware or something else is wrong. I purchased an 8TB EX2 last year. Everything’s been perfect up until the 2 latest firmware updates. My unit is disconnecting from the network constantly. I updated to firmware rev. 1.05.36 on Friday to try and remedy the issue, but no luck.

I have a Cisco 2960G 24 port switch behind a Watchguard XTM25W. I’ve tried a multitude of different cables. I’ve connected the device directly to the switch. It will work for an hour or so and disconnect all ports, then become available again after 5 or 10 minutes. The EX2 is on a static IP on the same subnet as all other devices on the network.

I’d like to downgrade to the 2014 firmware, but from the forums it looks like that is not an option.

You’re also reading about the wrong drive.  You have an EX2.

So, I have a mycloud EX2 which disconnects from the network after FW 1.05.34 and persists with 1.05.36. Let’s start from there. I’ve spent hours testing and troubleshooting and before I spend hours on the phone with WD I’m researching on the forums.

I’m fairly sure there is some value in my old post and an ip is an ip no matter what kind of device you may have.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Call-me-maybe-WD-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/881610#M35919

I have no idea whether the firmware for an ex2 is similar or not similar to the “my cloud”, but the only other reason that a device drops off the network could be the “device too busy” or “device crashing”.

good luck

Ralphael wrote:

I’m fairly sure there is some value in my old post and an ip is an ip no matter what kind of device you may have.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Call-me-maybe-WD-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/881610#M35919

I am sure there is good value in that post. At least some of the general ideas contained therein should apply to EX2.

Ralphael wrote:

I have no idea whether the firmware for an ex2 is similar or not similar to the “my cloud”, but the only other reason that a device drops off the network could be the “device too busy” or “device crashing”.

But EX2’s firmware is very different than MyCloud’s and I have in the past seen many EX2 users mistakenly think they can apply a solution (primarily the ones you execute in shell) from MyCloud in their EX2 product, only to find that the shell is quite different. They don’t realize how different the firmwares (and the shells) are between EX2 and the MyCloud. I would say any shell-specific commands/solutions for MyCloud will often be unusuable on EX2, but general network connectivity advice that are not MyCloud-specific are usually applicable to EX2 as well.

Unfortunately it does not apply. I’ve tried all the proposed solutions, but nothing has worked. I have not yet run a factory reset, but to do so I must purchase more storage in order to backup my backed up data, which is very frustrating. That’s if I can even do it because the device won’t stay online long enough to copy my 600 or so Gigs of data. I have been working a lot and have not been able to contact support, so I have a nice $600 unusable hunk of junk until I can find time to get support.

Now the drive has begun to come online for a few minutes, then flap for a few minutes, then go offline completely and repeats this behavior. Automatic backups can no longer run since it is not on the network long enough to complete or begin. My theory is cheap NICs that fail.

Things I have tried that make no difference:

• Set DHCP and assign a reserved IP within my DHCP scope

• Set static IP (original config) using various IPs

• Set switch port to 1000/full (Cisco 2960G), set EX2 to 1000

• Try different switch ports

• Tested using multiple different cables (CAT5e/6)

• Disable all apps

• Disable all network settings, i.e., NTP, drive sleep, etc.

• Map to the mycloud folders via UNC and drive letter mapping

• Connect via network discovery in Windows 8

decepticlone wrote:

I have not yet run a factory reset, but to do so I must purchase more storage in order to backup my backed up data, which is very frustrating.

Factory reset should not cause you to backup your data at all (though you SHOULD  be backing up your NAS data in another place anyway). Your data (i.e. files) are not touched during the factory reset. It does reset the admin password. It also resets other settings that you usually customize through the dashboard, to their factory defaults. You can search on this sub-forum to find threads where it has been discussed in the past.

I’ve done the reset using the button on the back of the device. Isn’t there another reset which resets the system and wipes the drives? The system restore is what I’m referring to. Doesn’t that wipe the entire system, or does it keep the RAID array intact?