MyCloud backs up my files but does not update file hierarchy

I dumped a ton of images on my desktop, which MyCloud picked up in its back ups over the course of a few weeks. I then cleaned everything off by moving the images to the correct folders and backed up again, but the files still show as being on my desktop in MyCloud.

Do I have to manually move them in MyCloud? Or is there a way to get it to override the old file hierarchy and update it to the new one?

(I apologize in advance if I am not using the right words for this)

What program or software are you using to backup the computer to the My Cloud?

What does “…files still show as being on my desktop in MyCloud” mean? How is your desktop “in” the My Cloud?

I back up through Control Panel > System > File History. The MyCloud device shows up there and I just click “run” or allow it to run automatically (I have it set up for around 5AM I think).

When I go through MyCloud.com to look at my files, they’re in the same hierarchy as they are on my computer (:c/users/myname/desktop) so I can see what was on my desktop and backed up.

However, over time I save lots of files to my desktop, and then after a few weeks I will organize them in the correct folders and clear my desktop. For some reason MyCloud doesn’t update to reflect this, and in the folder :c/users/myname/desktop all of the files that should be snug in their own folders are still on the desktop in a giant mass.

I have gone to the individual folders that I sorted the files to, thinking that maybe they were backed up there too because I ran the backup again, but they’re not. They’re still sitting in my desktop folder in MyCloud.

I hope this explains it better.

File History, as I understand it, is a reversionary backup tool; it allows you to recover old versions of files (hence the ‘history’ bit). So, since you at one time had files on the desktop, File History will keep a copy of those files so that you can retrieve them.

If you want your MyCloud backup of your PC to reflect changes to the files you make on your PC, then you need to use a file sync tool, not a reversionary backup tool. Note that a file sync tool will copy all changes you make on your primary data store, so if you delete a file on the PC, it will be deleted on the synced copy, and may not be recoverable (depending on the nature of the file sync tool). A one-way sync (reflecting changes only from primary to secondary) is also called file mirroring.

File sync can also be made to operate in bidirectional mode, so that if you make changes to either copy of the file structure, they will be replicated at the other end. This is a true file sync.

I don’t use File History, but I’m sure there are settings in it to control its mode of operation. Go find a good online tutorial.