MyCloud autoremove

Thanks a lot!

mefisos I had made the procedure but the led rest RED now. This is the steps that I followed.

What can I do?

Thanks.

Hello again Antonio:)

so lets take it from beginning… you have connected the HDD to another computer and then you booted up to linux where you used gparted to rewrite both (yes you have to rewrite both of the 2GB partitions) partitions with the img downloaded from the other thread and still it doesnt work? I had same red LED but it was because of a critical warning in dashboard but the disk itself was working

Thank you mefistos,

I put the debrick.sh and image on thumbdrive and i started a pc from cd with linux. Next I had connect the HDD to pc and I executed the script in case of delete all content (the wd cloud was empty). The script work without errors but when I connect the my cloud to internet by the router I don’t reach the cloud from the url http://wdmycloud.local/UI. The led on nas rest red. Before to start the process i had to format the hdd in fat32 with one partition.

Hint? Any idea?

Thank you so much!

That is the wrong unbricking guide for a My Cloud, the link in your post goes to a My Book Live unbricking post which is a different WD drive and may have different unbricking procedures and use different files for the unbricking process.

Use the link from Mefistos post: https://community.wd.com/t/how-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-wd-my-cloud/91064

no debrick.sh… wrong guide… follow the guide I and bennor posted How to unbrick a totally dead WD My Cloud - #3 by sammarbella … you just boot to linux open gparted… rewrite the two partitions and thats it… you probably used wrong .img files

1 Like

I think that was a mistake… You don’t want to go near the device with a FAT32 format, as it needs to be a multi-partition ext4 formatted drive.

There’s a thread somewhere in the forum on how to replace the hard drive on a MyCloud with a new one; I think that might now be the guide to follow, as you have destroyed the partition scheme on the drive, and will have to recreate it. Bennor might be able to point you that way, as I think he’s done it. Or Ralphael.

Probably this thread:

1 Like

oh my god… I didnt see this part… well this is bad… I believe there is way to recreate the HDD partition… I have seen only 2TB version but you can then stretch it to 4TB…

EDIT: How to unbrick a totally dead My Cloud? this is what I am talking about and this Here is WD My Cloud 2TB virgin disk image it might work… it will definitely work but it will take some time

EDIT2: antonio give me a minute I will try to make a 4TB version for you so you can just dd if=image.img of=/dev/sdb the image…

1 Like

What command do you use to create that image? I think it might be nice to have lying around, ‘just in case’…

1 Like

Thank you!!

This one dd if=/dev/sda of=/DataVolume/shares/Public/mycloud.img bs=1M count=5000 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great mefistos I’m waiting for 4tb img! Thanks!

already uploading it… just few more minutes :slight_smile:

EDIT: my connection is extremely slow… it might take a bit longer… maybe paranoia, or someone else will be able to upload it faster

1 Like

While we waiting for the upload I will try to explain the steps to execute for rebuild my cloud.
I copy the image on the thumb drive, next I start the pc with linux and, from the terminal:

dd if=image.img of=/dev/sdb

Just this? Nothing to do?

If you’ve wiped out the existing partitions on the My Cloud drive, then the process may be a bit different to unbrick as one has to rebuild thh correct partitions and their size/format. I detail the process I used to successfully install an empty hard drive into the My Cloud enclosure, properly create partitions and format it, and then load the “unbricking” IMG files to the various partitions at the following link.

https://community.wd.com/t/unbrick-then-firmware-upgrade-equals-no-dashboard/136666/

I initially used a 250GB drive when I created the directions/steps but have since subsequently put a 1T drive in the enclosure using those same steps. Below is the steps I used from that prior thread link. I make note of fixing the GTP because in my case if I didn’t fix the GTP table the upgrade to version 4.x firmware caused problems, notably the Dashboard failing to load.

How to unbrick, replace or restore original WD My Cloud single hard drive firmware:

These basic directions assume you have a 4GB or larger USB flash/pen drive, a computer with SATA connectors or some form of external SATA enclosure/docking station, basic knowledge of how to boot PC using a boot disc, basic knowledge of how to use Linux.

Note: Use and proceed at your own risk!!!

• Download original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz to a flash drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQ2l5MTNvQk1xSUU
• Used Ubuntu Live/Boot CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
• To avoid damaging non WD My Cloud hard drives remove or disconnect them from the computer.
• Backup any data on your My Cloud as these directions may result in the erasure of all data on hard drive.  
• Insert USB Flash/Pen drive containing the file original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz (or it's extracted contents) into PC before booting with Linux Live/Boot CD
• All terminal commands run from Root user or Sudo. For purposes of this guide Sudo was used.
• After booting with Live/Boot CD open terminal window by typing: 
[ctrl] + [alt] + [t]
Then type:
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install mdadm parted

To install new/used hard drive start with step 1. 
To repair existing bricked WD My Cloud hard drive start with step 13.

Note: Starting from step 1 will erase hard drive contents. If hard drive contains important data, backup hard drive before proceeding.

1. Find the My Cloud hard drive name (sda, sdb, sdd, sdc, sde, etc.) by typing:
sudo fdisk -l 
or 
sudo parted -l

Note: For these basic directions "sdb" is used. 

2. If you get GTP errors running fdisk or parted then try the following command:
sudo gdisk /dev/sdb

Then type "o" then type "w" to fix GTP errors.

3. Run parted utility:
sudo parted /dev/sdb

4. Type "print" to see what partitions exist on hard drive.

5. If any partitions exist, remove each of them by typing "rm 1" (where 1 - number of partition)

6. Create new table:
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 528M 2576M
mkpart primary 2576M 4624M
mkpart primary 16M 528M
mkpart primary 4828M -1M
mkpart primary 4624M 4724M
mkpart primary 4724M 4824M
mkpart primary 4824M 4826M
mkpart primary 4826M 4828M
set 1 raid on
set 2 raid on

Type "quit" to exit parted.

7. Format data partition:
sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb4

8. Reboot computer, boot back to Linux Live CD. From command line run: 
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install mdadm parted.

9. Run sudo fdisk -l or sudo parted -l and note the drive names just incase the /dev/sd* location changed.

10. Create main RAID partition, type: 
sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

11. Wait for RAID creation to complete, type:
sudo watch cat /proc/mdstat 

Wait to 100%. Then type:
[ctrl] + [c] for close.

12. Stop auto-loaded raid, type: 
sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md0

If /dev/md0 not found type the following to find RAID mount point: 
sudo ls /dev 
or
sudo grep md

13. Start normal raid (must be /dev/md0), type: 
sudo mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

14. Using terminal window navigate to USB Flash/Pen drive location. Example: /media/ubuntu/<drive name> If the contents of file original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz have not been previously extracted on the USB Flash/Pen drive, type:
sudo tar xvfz original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz

15. Upload backup images to WD's hdd:
sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5
sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb6
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb7
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb8
sudo dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/md0

16. A Note: If for what ever reason the My Cloud fails to boot (white LED), or problems with upgrade to newer firmware failing/not working (ex. UI fails to load) try the following alternative step.
sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md0

sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5
sudo dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb6
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb7
sudo dd if=config.img of=/dev/sdb8
sudo dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb1
sudo dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb2

17. Shutdown PC from terminal window by typing: shutdown -p -H 0 Or use "Logout" from menu.

18. Disconnect hard drive from computer/external connector and connect to WD My Cloud circuit board. Then connect power to the My Cloud circuit board to turn on WD My Cloud. Boot process may take 5-10 min or longer. LED light should change from White to Blue.

Note: If the WD My Cloud fails to boot with either a solid white or red LED, then reattach hard drive to PC/docking station, reinsert USB Flash/Pen drive, boot back into Linux, go back to step 13, then proceed to step 16 to push the three "img" files to their respective partitions, shut down PC and try booting the hard drive again with the WD My Cloud circuit board. 
If the drive still fails to boot (white or red LED), the GTP entry probably needs to be repaired. If that is the case try step 2 above to rebuilt the GPT entry (will probably erase drive contents) and then perform the rest of the subsequent steps. If step 2 doesn't work then start from scratch at step 1. Backup any files if needed from sdb4 (the mountable ext4 partition containing the shares) prior to starting from step 1.

19. After WD My Cloud boots to Blue LED, access the Dashboard with web browser (http://wdmycloud/). Proceed through initial access screen then enable SSH on the Settings -> Network -> Network Services section. Often the capacity will be incorrectly listed, fix by selecting Quick Restore (or Quick Factory Restore) from the Settings -> Utilities section. The device will reboot and rebuild the system files.

20. After factory restore has been performed and WD My Cloud boots, restore any settings (like Static IP) as needed and update the firmware if needed. Be patient. If there was existing data on the hard drive it may take the WD My Cloud OS a long time to scan/catalog the files.

Notes:
How Linux sees drive contents of a 250GB drive:
Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name     Flags
 3      15.7MB  528MB   513MB   linux-swap(v1)  primary
 1      528MB   2576MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 2      2576MB  4624MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 5      4624MB  4724MB  99.6MB                  primary
 6      4724MB  4824MB  101MB                   primary
 7      4824MB  4826MB  1049kB                  primary
 8      4826MB  4828MB  2097kB                  primary
 4      4828MB  250GB   245GB   ext4            primary
1 Like

yep… that should be it :slight_smile: :smiley: well the /dev/sdb might look different… its based on the drivers name…

Actually I think if you do this .img thing you wont have to do Bennors guide… we will see… 15 mins left

1 Like

Ok I wait! Thank you!

can you download this http://elf.seedboxes.cc/mefistos/downloads/mycloud.img ?

1 Like

The link require the authentication!

Solved! I had downloaded the image make available by @mefistos from this URL: MEGA ;next,I copied the image with the ‘dd if=/mnt/usb/mycloud.img of=/dev/sdx’ instruction…next I had made 40 seconds reset with the my cloud without power cable, after 40 seconds I connect the power cable press and hold reset.
The mycloud is come back with blue led and reachble from dashboard.
Next I had made complete factory reset to erase all data from mefisto’s image and clean the disk.

Thank you to all!

1 Like