MyCloud App - with multiple NAS Boxes

Hello.

I ran into a recent issue using the WD “My Cloud” app when I am off of my home network (i.e. roaming on the cell phone)

I have two WD NAS boxes - different types, but fundamentally they are running similar firmware/software and are intended to have access via WD “my cloud” software.

Using standard settings, it seems like I can’t really access both NAS boxes when not on my home network (i.e. cell phone connection, or on a remote wifi network). This may have worked in the past, but perhaps not with both drives online simultaneously. I did not have this problem with cell phones and tablets when ON the home network.

My home router does have UPnP.
Both NAS boxes claimed to have “Cloud Access Status” “connected (relay connection established)”.
However, in the “configuration” of the remote access. . . both boxes were set with “connectivity” set to “auto”.

I suspect there was a port fowarding conflict?
I have now changed the connectivity to “manual”, with one box set to ports 80/443, and the other to 81/434.

Does this seem correct?
It “appears” that this works to give me access to both drives. . . but I am feeling like I should be doing something on the router as well.

Edit: and… . . 10 minutes later: one drive is now reporting “connection status failed” on 80/443. . . but I still seem to be able to access the drives from my cell phone (on the cellular network, not wifi) and a tablet (tablet hot-spotted to the cellphone)

Well - - - -

THAT was interesting.

“Connected (Relay connection established)” appears to mean something completely different than I thought . . . .apparently the “relay connection” is through WD servers. This connection was made because my Router was apparently not passing internet data properly to the two MyCloud gizmos.

Relay connection allowed me to access the drives, but using an unknown (WD server) that was not secure.

Apparently “Universal Plug N Play” in router speak doesn’t really universally play.

Apparently, I completely misunderstood what the “external port assignments” should be. These should be high numbers. . . and they are the ports that router uses to expose the NAS gizmos to the world. However, merely assigning unique 8XXX series numbers on the NAS boxes was inadequate. . .I had to physically tell the router that the external port was meant for a specific IP address on my network, and a specific port at that address.

In other words, I had to make an entry to tell the router that “external port 8082” had to be redirected to IP 192.168.x.x; port 80; and that external port 8443 had to be redirected to IP 192.168.x.x_port 443_. Same jazz for the other drive.

Now I get correct messages. “Port forwarding connection established” And it seems like it is working like it should.

Fortunately, I had already figured out the merit of static IP addresses for the drives. . . .cause the port forwarding only works if the IP addresses of the NAS boxes don’t change.