MyCloud Andriod App - Can't playback videos

This text will be blurred

As it used to work many moons ago and I hadn’t made any changes I started looking again for solutions. I tested a video on my Android tablet, before (failed) and after (worked) logging onto MyCloud (Western Digital) on my Windows 10 computer! Obvious a WD bug.

OK that didn’t fix it, the problem is just intermittent (mostly failing, sometimes working). The issue is when I’m on the local network (WIFI) and not when on mobile data/3G/4G. Apart from anything else that is when a well written app has no excuses for failing. It wants to go to the internet even when local and their processes are failing.

The following is my current play store feedback:

Will no longer play videos (they can be downloaded). They play via 3G/data, not local/WIFI. Also never had an issue with videos until probably FEB this year and it happens on both Android devices, sometimes it works mostly it doesn’t. WIN10 WEB WORKS, it uses “https://device4468974-7e5626f2.wd2go.com/api/2.7/rest/file_contents/…”, ANDROID FAILS & uses “https://device4468974-7e5626f2-local.wd2go.com/api/1.0/rest/file_contents/…” (modified device name for security). TWO THINGS (a) It uses API level 1.0 (old?), the working url uses “2.7” & (b) The device “device4468974-7e5626f2-local.wd2go.com” can’t be DNS resolved locally or remotely. Why does it go remote when the NAS is on the LOCAL network? Either way please fix your bug, I can’t make international calls (need AU/+61 number) or email. ANNOYING: Raised case 062019-13905858 to fix the bug with your SUPPORT PORTAL and like a lot of dodgy companies the acknowledgement email doesn’t include the case details I submitted.

I have had the same problem for a while now. Just sent an e-mail to the helpdesk and wonder what they will come up with. You can install Kodi as an alternative. This will connect to your NAS flawlessly and will playback your video (also when you’re on the same wi-fi as your NAS is) on your android phone and on your Chromecast. Hope this helps.

1 Like

OK, confirmed, its a design flaw in the app and probably came in around the start of 2019 as it used to work for me. If you have this bug it will be working on your phone’s data but not WIFI. The issue is a DNS problem (assuming no temporary outage), the design issue is that it relies on DNS to resolve the very, very, very local IP address rather than just use the IP address or even cache the last successful IP address.

To correct:

(1) On the device (phone, tablet, laptop, PC etc), use an app or otherwise discover what the DNS servers are (there are usually 2). “ipconfig /all” can be used on a windows command prompt.

(2) If one or both of the IP addresses are the same as the “Default Gateway” (in my case “192.168.1.254”) then you will either need to adjust the device’s settings or the router (perhaps both) depending on where you/someone has set this. On my “tomato” router I had the setting “Use internal DNS” ticked (FOR GOOD REASON, thanks a lot WD!). Unticking that and reconnecting to the router fixed the issue.

(3) If using Android, use VLC to test as it gives you an error message that includes the path, that will give you the name of the DNS entry being queried ( “device4468974-7e5626f2-local.wd2go.com” in my above comment).

(4) Use an online DNS lookup to confirm it exists (some don’t seem to work correctly), I used: DNS Lookup Tool - DNS Tools - MxToolbox

(5) I also set my DNS servers to “8.8.8.8” & “9.9.9.9” to have them from 2 different companies selected from: The Best Free and Public DNS Servers (January 2023)

(6) As my Windows PC is on the same network as my Android tablet I used these commands to test changes:

• “ipconfig /release”
  • “ipconfig /renew”
  • “ipconfig /flushdns”
  • “ipconfig /all” (to double check DNS servers, if not correct values, then start from the top again)
  • “ping device4468974-7e5626f2-local.wd2go.com

device4468974-7e5626f2-local.wd2go.com may not resolve or the router may be blocking or filtering local DNS Queries just like @dbareis stated.

I found this KBA that should help troubleshoot the issue with the resolution being almost identical Error

Just to clarify, “device4468974-7e5626f2-local.wd2go.com” is a REMOTE/INTERNET based DNS name (as the support article you linked to confirms). I had to turn OFF the LOCAL DNS resolution to workaround this issue.

Hi I am having the same problem
how do I fix this on an android tablet?