MyCloud access control doesn't work

I set up password-protected user shares in MyCloud (firmware 04.00.00-607). When I try to access the shares from Windows XP, it asks for a password as it should and shows only shares for the current XP user.

But when I try to access it from a Windows 7 laptop in Explorer\Network, it doesn’t ask for any password just shows all folder content for an admin user, and for an ordinary user it asks for a password but accepts anything and likewise gives access to all folders. In other words access control doesn’t work in Win7, MyCloud just gives access to everything for  everybody.

Was it that firmware version when you bought it?

Joe.citizen wrote:

I set up password-protected user shares in MyCloud (firmware 04.00.00-607). When I try to access the shares from Windows XP, it asks for a password as it should and shows only shares for the current XP user.

But when I try to access it from a Windows 7 laptop in Explorer\Network, it doesn’t ask for any password just shows all folder content for an admin user, and for an ordinary user it asks for a password but accepts anything and likewise gives access to all folders. In other words access control doesn’t work in Win7, MyCloud just gives access to everything for  everybody.

Is the Windows Account name & PW (on your Win7 laptop) you use the same as a user name on your Cloud?   If so, what you’re seeing is correct behavior, depending on the permissions assigned to that user name.

1. The firmware was different when I bought the myCloud device. It updated itself immediately after switching it on, and there has been another firmware update since. The current firmware (that shows this behaviour) is the latest (04.00.00-607).

2. The account names under Win 7 and Win XP are different, and the password on myCLoud doesn’t match either for secucrity reasons. Hence all authetication data are different on the different devices.

I do understand that account names and passwords are used for authentication.

I just noticed that you can circumvent access control in XP as well, by using different, non-privileged account names and passwords in the network area of Win Explorer. So in fact, username/password is more of a convenience feature in myCloud to allow easy network drive mapping, not really for security.