Mycloud 5TB Drive refusing connections

Hi Guys,

My mycloud drive has suddenly developed the problem that it was not reachable locally.

It appears that this was fixed by rebooting the router.

Once I rebooted the router I could ping the mycloud drive.

However now it is denying connections. In filezilla I get this message.

Connecting to 192.168.1.110:21…
Status: Connection attempt failed with “ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server”.

I have turned the power off and let the drive reboot but still have no luck.

I can’t get to the UI web interface either so I can not get connected to the device.

Ping does return so at least the operating system seems to be up and running and I can feel the disk running.

Anyone have any ideas how to get to the device other than trying a few more reboot?

Thanks

Peter

What computer and operating system are you using, is it Windows, Apple, Linux etc.?

For the address to your My Cloud did you have it set as a Static address or reserved on your router?

Hi Ca0w,
I am using winX as my desktop OS. I have it set to a static address on my network.

It is 192.168.1.100 on my home network. Ping returns so the OS is there.

Having turned everything off and rebooted it is now visible from the web so I can get to the files on it via mycloud.com. So the “emergency” of it is over. I am 100% sure I can get to the files on it and that the drive is ok itself. It is just that connections are being refused locally.

The only other change I made around the same time was that I decided I no longer wanted to use McAfee anti virus and just use WinX virus checking and I removed McAfee AV from my desktop.

Apart from that? I have not done anything different for this drive.

I saw some other people had similar comments on other threads a few years back but no one seemed to post a solution.

So the current position is still I can see the files and drive in mycloud.com but I can not connect to the drive locally via WinX from filezilla or anything else. I am getting connection refused.

So any and all ideas would be most welcome!

Best Regards

Peter

@PeterNolan What happens when you use File Explorer>Network? Does you My Cloud show there?

If not, check this.

Hi @cat0w ,

Hmm…I tried this and with no luck. I am back where I started. I turned everything off. Turned everything back on and waited 20 minutes. Now I can’t see the cloud drive from my web page again either.

When it was working the cloud drive and the shares I created on it showed up on the file explorer.

I had network shares mapped to the drive with the userids/passwords in the share.

I also have filezilla with the userids/password embedded in filezilla. So I know I am using all the right settings.

It just seems like, for some reason, it is refusing connections.

There must be some reason for it to refuse connections.

Now connections are just timing out rather than being refused.

So I am still at a loss to figure out what is wrong and I don’t have a diagnostic path to follow.

Are you aware of anyone here who is actually WD support? They might be able to point me in the direction of how to do diagnostics against the drive.

There must be some way to connect to it with a master userid/password or something like that. I bought it so long ago I can’t recall how I gave it the initial userid/password to secure it.

The only thing I changed when this happened was I removed mcafee and switched to the windows firewall. I am thinking that windows firewall is refusing the device talking to my desktop as the most likely cause some how.

All a but frustrating, but oh well, I have been in IT since 1982 and this is not the first time I have had to struggle with a difficult drive!

Any other idea would be most welcome!

Thanks

Peter

@cat0w or any high skilled networking guys. :slight_smile:

This might help.

My IP address on my home network is 192.168.1.114.

The cloud drive is on 192.168.1.110.

The cloud drive is on a fixed IP address and I am on a dynamically allocated IP address.

You can see from the pinging that I am reaching the drive on 110 but then I am getting a reply from my PC saying destination host unreachable.

This confuses me as to what is happening and why.

Perhaps someone here can figure this one out?

I tested this when both windows defender firewall and virus scanning were turned off.

Another thought I had was that I have some software on my cloud drive that msft anti-virus would consider “unsafe”.

And I was wondering if, when I took McAfee off my machine that windows anti virus may have scanned the drive and decided not to allow it to be read any more.

That is one of my theories at the moment.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.1.110

Pinging 192.168.1.110 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.114: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.110:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXX-Desktop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xxx.xxx

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxx.xxx
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 60-A4-4C-41-1B-2E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a02:2f0c:7704:700:45e5:f8aa:7e45:c02b(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a02:2f0c:7704:700:9d2b:602d:bf97:5cd8(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::45e5:f8aa:7e45:c02b%7(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.114(Preferred) <<<<--------------------------------
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:25:51 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:56:49 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::46f0:34ff:fe4a:cafd%7
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 90219596
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-2D-34-A7-60-A4-4C-41-1B-2E
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
xxx.xxx

Hi @cat0w ,
well, you are not going to believe this. But I finally got in again via mycloud.hom and when I did it did a download of a new software patch to the device and rebooted the device. After the reboot I could see it on the LAN.

So there you go. It was some sort of problem on the device itself and it needed the update, I presume some microcode or OS update, and once that was done it was reachable again.

So that is what happened. It was nothing to do with anything I did.

I have no idea why this all happened but I am very happy to have my drive back. I think I will be buying another large USB drive to replicate or back up the cloud drive.

Thanks for your efforts. They are much appreciated!

Best Regards

Peter