MyCloud 4TB - Keep losing access to the shares daily

Hi I am a new owner of a MyCloud 4TB drive.

I have been using it for a few months now and have been less than impressed.

I recently upgraded to the lastest firmware and things have gone downhill from there.

My current issue is that I keep loosing access to the shares.

The scenario is as follows:

1. Unplug the MyCloud from power leave off for a minute.
  2. Plug the MyCloud into power and wait for it to start up.
  3. Access the WebUI and it all looks good.
  4. Access my shares via the UNC Path \WDMyCloud\ShareName and its all works fine.
  5. Go to sleep.
  6. Go to work.
  7. Come home
  8. Fire up the computer and try to access the shares, and I canot access them.
  9. Login to the WebUI, its very slow but eventually it tells me that everything is ok. It lists all the shares and I can look at them in the web ui but I am unable to see any of the shares on the UNC Path \WDMyCloud.

Repeat, from step one.

So basically I am having to reboot my WDMyCloud every day!

Details:

1. I am running the latest firmware - v04.00.01-623
  2. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro
  3. I have disabled the media streaming
  4. I am not using the Online Cloud access, this is disabled
  5. I have run a quick test when in the “Broken” state and it says everyting is OK
  6. I have the email alerts on, and the device has not sent any messages
  7. I have attempted changing some of the shares to private access and back to public access hoping it may jump start the UNC shares, no change.
  8. I have energy saving turned on.
  9. I am now running on a static IP Addess

Any ideas on what I can do to diagnose and or resolve this issue.

Try to disable not essential services for windows users.

Disable Time Machine from UI
Disable ITunes Server from UI

from ssh run

crontab -e

add this lines:

@reboot /bin/sh /etc/init.d/netatalk stop
@reboot /bin/sh /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
@reboot /bin/sh /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmerger stop

Reboot your system and test.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks for the info alex,

I was trying to be comprehensive in my post… but still forgot some settings… :slight_smile:

• Time Machine  is already off
  • iTunse server is already off

I have seen posts around accessing the NAS via SSH, and I should be able to do this… could you tell me what each of these services are doing and why I would turn them off?

Thanks again.

I will do this and update tomorrow when my shares are gone again :wink:

Netatalk allows Unix-like operating systems to serve as file for Macintosh computers, wdmcserver & wdphotodbmerger  are background services for cache files & thumbnails images.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for that. I think I may be getting closer.

I neglegted to mention that I also have a WD MyBook Essential 1TB USB3.0 drive that is mounted on the external usb3.0 port.

I managed to have a dig around in  SSH and found the following file: \var\log\messages

When I look I can see that the log file stopped being written to on Oct-7 and started again on Oc-10 (today) when I rebooted.

So, the last entry that was written was…

Oct  7 21:30:06 WDMyCloud kernel: [2138.529571] wdnotifier invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x200da, order=0, oom_adj=0, oom_score_adj=0

?? I wonder what it killed?

I also noted that in the log I had the following entry appearing every 7 seconds, ( note htese were the entries prior to the wdnotifier above, so it stopped logging @ 21:08 and crashed @ 21:30 some 22 minutes later?

Oct  7 21:08:38 WDMyCloud kernel: [  851.508478] usb 2-1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
Oct  7 21:08:38 WDMyCloud kernel: [  851.528785] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep cfe5dcec

Oct  7 21:08:38 WDMyCloud kernel: [  851.536860] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep cfe5dcc0
Oct  7 21:08:38 WDMyCloud kernel: [  851.551737] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Unhandled error code
Oct  7 21:08:38 WDMyCloud kernel: [  851.556699] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb]  Result: hostbyte=0x07 driverbyte=0x00
Oct  7 21:08:38 WDMyCloud kernel: [  851.563221] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 67 48 92 58 00 00 f0 00

Note: device number 2 = the MyBook drive.

I have investigated this error and it appears as if the MyCloud is trying to down scale my USB 3.0 (xHCI) drive to USB 2.0 but it can’t.

People are suggesting to blacklist xHCI to stop it erroring by creating

vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

with

blacklist xhci_hcd

But wouldn’t that also cause the internal drive to down scale to USB 2.0 as well.

Another article the person installed ntfs-3g and that resolved his errors, but these were all on full linux distro’s and I am afraid I may brick the device if I start playing around too much? WD perhaps you can fix this one??

I will wait to see how it goes and if it still fails I will have to remove the external drive until WD gives us a fix.

Update,

So far so good, its been 24 hours and thanks to alex’s tips the WD MyCloud is more stable and my shares have not gone offline.

I have left the external USB 3.0 drive connected to test whether it is the reason for the failures. 

The log file still contains the xhci errors, but they are not every 7 seconds, I think when the device sleeps it stop raising these errors.

Will keep this thread updated with any changes.

Just thought I should update you on the status of my box.

Since implementing the suggested change the WD MyCould has been stable.

I have even turned on the Media Sharing again and I have not had a single outage in 3 weeks.

Today a new firmware is out and I am dubious about upgrading, but armed with the knowledge in this post I will just re-apply the settings and hopefully everything will be fine.